Coral Vue Hydros

Pistol Types

John Bloch

Sorry to kinda be a copycat post... but does anyone have a link to a site that has pictures of multiple types of Pistols so I can decide on a type? My store will order me anything, its just that I want to know what I'm getting...

formerly icyuodd/icyoud2

http://www.liveaquaria.com just type in pistol shrimp in the search and 5 of the more popular pistols will show up.

i've kept 3 of the pistol shrimps and here my take on them

Japanese Pistol Shrimp

(Alpheus bisincisus)

Sri Lanka it says they reach a max size of 2" and are peacefull. mine was 2.5" when i removed it from the aquarium because it was getting fairly aggresive to anything that got in his way. at feeding time he'd charge at anything in his path claws going a mile a min. he nipped a few of my smaller fish, so he was returned to the lfs. he was a very active digger and with he size, he really made a mess.

Bullseye Pistol Shrimp

(Alpheus soror)

he was a little bugger. they dont usually shack up with gobies and love to go after small shrimp. mine also nipped my fish. this guy loved to dig and always kicked up sand into the current. it was like he did it on purpose. :)

Pistol Shrimp, Red Banded

(Alpheus randalli)

Indo-Pacific

my fav and the one thats still in my aquarium. he's in with my horses and i dont worry. he's been a real slow grower, but pound for pound, he's the most active digger of all. he will dig under your rock till theres nowhere left to dig, so make sure your rock is sitting ont he bottom of the aquarium.

Archived