Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Live Rock Questions (pics)

jdsabin1

I added my final pieces of Live Rock today and had some questions regarding some 'stuff' I was unsure of on it. On one piece there is what appears to be some off white, fuzzy coating (almost looks like frosting in a weird sort of way) and was wondering what it was exactly (Pic 1). On another there is a small area that also appears fuzzy but it looks more like coral of some sort (pic 2). Finally, in the third picture I found a small polyp on another piece of rock and underneath that was a stumpy growth that I assume may turn out to be another polyp?

Thanks in advance for the ID's. :)

lr1.jpg

lr2.jpg

lr3.jpg

Pic #1 & 2 looks like some sort of encrusting coral that didn't survive the trip. You can also see what looks to be a skeleton of a bird's nest acro just to the right of it too. Both will eventually be coated in coralline and will become just another part of the rock.

Pic #3 is a garden variety zoanthid polyp. And yes, that's another one budding out beneath it. Fun aint it?

Originally posted by Bucket o Chum

That spikey thing ain't coral its branching coraline algae.

Is that a bad thing bucket?

it used to be branching coralline algae. it's bleach white calcite or aragonite now. (i forget which) beautiful (imo) when it's alive.

satch,

i think that was ex-hitchhiker galaxy coral. :P

I can promise you that jdsabin, at this point. Has NO idea what the F you are talking about. jdsabin, a coral that white, isn't exactly coral anymore, in the traditional sense. I'll let these guys explain it better.

Keng Yew, Leong

Those are dead stuff.(except for pic 3)They are just the skeleton of that thing that used to be alive.And they were beautiful when they were still alive.

SO the conclusion is....just leave the stuff there.

Archived