Top Shelf Aquatics

sketching a plan

susan695074

susan695074

Ok, like all beginners, I have come up with a plan and would like to see what people think about it. At this point, I'm trying to figure out what I want in my tank and then decide most of the equipment from there. I do have a 55 salt and mutiple fresh tanks but this is my first time into the nanos.

I did start with the lighting. I'm looking at one of those JBJ clip on lamps (36 wt, 50/50). I haven't decided yet as far as a 10 gallon regular tank or a 7 gallon mini bow.

What I'm really wanting is an anenome / clown couple. I like the perculas but don't really care for the carpets so much. So I'm leaning towards a tomato in a bubble tip. I would also like to add some xenia down the line, a couple of snails and maybe a shrimp or two. Does this sound reasonable given the lighting? I'd like to add some live rock / sand and maybe use it for my main filtration.

It usually takes me a couple of months to go from thinking about a tank to actually putting water in one but I'd like some feedback on the basic ideas :)

Thanks!

Susan

Couple of potential problems with your setup plan. #1, Anemones. They are notoriously difficult to keep in small tanks. Read Chris Mark's article with interesting statistics here. #2, Tomato clowns are a little too big for a 10 or 7g tank. If you really want a clown & host, try false percula (Amphiprion Ocellaris?) with a 'surrogate' anemone replacement. Corals in the Euphyllia family are favorite surrogates, and IME they are simple to keep. Hope this helps

Mnes

agreed. anemones and nanos are a no no (say that three times fast).

They move around too much and can damage other corals (if you have them). Plus, given the small space, there is added risk of them getting stuck in the intake area of a powerhead or hob filter. Plus, when one goes, major catastrophe is likely, never mind the stink.

Get yourself a lps as suggested, or watch a clown host to something silly like a koosh ball, powerhead, magfloat or, in my case, the water's surface by the glass (don't ask, it was insanely funny to watch).

While I'm not all down on the anemones in a nano, I do think that stuffing an anemone and a tomato (you do realize they can get over 6", right?) into a 7 or 10g is a bad idea.

If you do want to go with an anemone, the only suitable one for nanos is a bubble-tip, and I do think you'd be best off getting nano experience first before getting into them. Starting with one is just asking for trouble.

susan695074

No, I hadn't realized that the tomato could get that large. My other thought was to get some nice xenia, some other flowy type of corals and then a really nice damsel. I love the damsels but as much as I've heard they were mean, don't want them in my big tank. So I thought maybe if a mean guy could have a tank of his own, he'd be ok :) Maybe I should start thinking more that way.

Susan

Well I shouldn't post at all, but this is so cheerfull I could puke.

Anyways, Xenia are great and flourish in any sized tank. A damsel would do good as well. I say go for it !(pretend there are smiley faces here) I'm curious as to what's in your other tanks? Don't mind the joking bit. hee hee I think it's great that yuor asking before doing.

susan695074

Well I haven't experimented with any corals yet since I really want metal halidide on my big tank and can't afford it yet. So I have one maroon clown, a midas blenny, a coral beauty and an amazingly well behaved Purple Stripe Pseudochromis (probably cause he is half the size of everybody else). Then a couple of feather dusters and a cleaner shrimp.

Another thing to condsider as far a anemones go, in the wild, they acn reportedly live for literally centuries. As stated above, they are notariously hard to keep and even if you can keep if for,say,ten years, it's life span is still drastically shortened. So i wouldnt recommend them for ANY sized tank, let alone a nano. But being the hypocrit I am, i am seriously considering one. Do as i say, dont do as I do, i guess. Anyway, good luck and have fun

Archived