Pod Your Reef

WHat apears to be snails with no shell

chuckfullservice

chuckfullservice

They are about an 1/4 inch long and appear just like other snails except for the shell part? I have noticed quite a few snail eggs over the past month but I wouldn't think the babys would grow this fast and with out a shell?. I tried to take a couple of pics but as soon as my flash goes off they hide.

They are definately nocturnal, I have seen two of them. They seem to be grazing on algae. Is it possible that they are survivors of a horrible hermit crab attack and now have no shell? Or are they a species of snail I'm not familiar with? Any input would be appreciated!

They are about an 1/4 inch long and appear just like other snails except for the shell part? I have noticed quite a few snail eggs over the past month but I wouldn't think the babys would grow this fast and with out a shell?. I tried to take a couple of pics but as soon as my flash goes off they hide.

They are definately nocturnal, I have seen two of them. They seem to be grazing on algae. Is it possible that they are survivors of a horrible hermit crab attack and now have no shell? Or are they a species of snail I'm not familiar with? Any input would be appreciated!

No shells makes me think of flat worms..... spiny "shell" makes me think of bad zoo eating nudibranch. You'll have to take a good picture to get a positive ID. It also could be a stomatella which is not harmful at all.

chuckfullservice

After reviewing your thoughts and doing a little research I believe them to be stomatella . I saw a couple of pics online and that is exactly what they look like. I also saw pics of those coral eating nudis but they have much thicker spines then the snail I have . Thanks for the quick reply and your input I believe you have solved the mystery.

Thanks again blue Bastion!

Archived