Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

55 gallon Stocking help needed...Couple pics included.

crazinezz978

Hi,

I need some help. Actually a lot of help.

I bought a 55 gallon tank. Got some live rock from my 29. 2 zoo meds. A Penguin 330 Filter, thermometer and a cpr bakpaq. I placed about 35 lbs of live sand. and let it cure for 2 weeks. Got 2 damsels(WHICH I HATE WITH PASSION) and let it cure for another 2 weeks and now the water parameters are ready to take fishes. SO i thought...Why not make a peacefull tank. No triggers and crazy fishes trying to kill each other. I even bought a little yellow goby but hes lost, cant find him anymore(2 days already)...seems like damsels ate him.

I will def. get rid of the damsels beforei add anythign more...any body want em for free?

I was thinking a yellow tang, and a red corris wrasse and an angel and even maybe some other fishes i dont know what though.

My cousin has some baby naso tangs like 2 inches...like 15 of them so he wants me to take one. But i dont know if a naso is do-able in 55 (maybe for a year or so...i guess...(tang police..spare me i am just asking for advise)).

I am thinking about 5-6 fish ..but will add slowly as tank matures. Also let me know what order to get them in.

Heres pics:

1.JPG

The damsel...take him.2.JPG

3.JPG

4.JPG

Some live rock...i will be adding more sooon.

Keep ya all updated as i progress for now i need help from the gurus out there! :D

Personally, I wouldn't add the yellow tang to a 55g, but that's just me. I know many do. I also wouldn't add the Naso. It gets over a foot long, and if you're not going to keep a fish for the long-term, why get it. That's my philosophy, and you're entitled to yours. I don't know which angel you're referring to, but I'd say only a dwarf species in a 55g.

For stocking, try to figure out all the fish you're going to get and start out with the more peaceful ones first and ending with the more aggressive ones.

Good luck and nice tank so far.

Mel

I agree with ^... I like pinstripe wrasses they are really cool, it would fit perfect in your tank... And remeber you said you wanted a peaceful reef, i believe all angels are semi-aggressive or aggressive!! But if you did go with an angel add it last, if you really wanted a tang, go with something like a yellow but the naso would just get tooo BIG for that tank..... Not saying go with one, just if you want to, go with a small one....

WELL...i dun wanna push it...so how bout an aggresive mix??

hows huma picasso, porcupine puffer, lunare wrasse and something still undecided?

oh and can u mix 2 wrasses like the lunare and the red coris wrasse(??)

thanks in advance guys...:-)

I don't know about the wrasse, but I know for sure that the other two will get WAY too big for a 55g. I don't know off the top of my head, but you may want to check out a dwarf lion and see what size tank they require if you want to go aggressive. With a lion though, you have to watch with other fish that will fit into their mouths and/or will nip the lion's fins.

Mel

lunare humu and porcupine r too big for a 55?

i think it is the porcupine that needs 90 gallon minimum and the other ones both are 55. so maybe ill do the blue spotted puffer instead of the porcupine. Would that work?

p.s.- ill only but small specimens liek 2-3 inches each and humus grow very slow ive heard so yea...

Rhinecanthus aculeatus (humu/picasso trigger) and Thalassoma lunare (lunare wrasse) get around 10". Diodon holacanthus? (porcupine puffer) gets over 1'. All of these fish are too large for a 55gal in my opinion not to mention they're not reef-safe, create a lot of bio-load, and are pretty aggressive.

If by blue spotted puffer you mean Canthigaster sp. they stay smaller 6" max but are messy eaters and relatively agressive so you'd be pretty limited as to what else you could put in with it.

Although it's 4' long and 55 sounds big, a 55gal really isn't that big of a tank, you're still pretty restricted as to what "big" fish you can keep. Most people who start out with a larger tank instantly think of how big of fish can fit in there. Really thoug, peaceful fish are cool too and can have just as much personallity as thoses big puffers and triggers. Good Luck to you.

Archived