Top Shelf Aquatics

<<Frogspawn/hammer/torch coral info for all COME IN>>

R*Frost*

I just wanted a bit of info on the species of the similar corals above. i was wondering:

1. How big have you every had one of these corals grow? plz include specs.

2. How big have you seen sweeper tenatcle on a average sized one (not sure what that is)? What space would you suggest for them to live safely with other corals e.g 3" squared of space

3.What is the most amazing colour morph you have seen? post pics of it, or of a coral you would like to share :)

4.MOST expensive and CHEAPEST one you have seen.

5.Weirdist experieneces with that type of coral if any.

I am setting up a 24x12x12 nano and wanted some info on these corals with i hope to get one. Just wanted to add a twist so that other reefers got something otta this including people who post and learn something new :)

p.s ROCK ON REEFERS :P

I don't recall the answers to many of the questions you've asked, since these corals are so damn common and I see so many examples. The biggest one I can remember seeing is a hammer coral with over 10 mouths.

But I can certainly remember the coolest color morph. lizbeth here had a purple torch with white tips that she got from another member (anthony812). Unfortunately it was in rough shape and didn't survive, but it was extrmely cool in its prime. Never seen another one like it.

coralreefengr

I would recommend you get a book about corals. Considering you don't know what sweeper tentacles are yet, you have a lot of homework to do. Sweeper tentacles do not only vary by species, they also tend to vary in different currents, also dependent on species.

The cheapest way to get corals is to be a member of your local reef-keeping club and get frags from members. The most expensive is to buy from your LFS.

Printed reference materials are the best resources in this hobby and should be supplemented by the internet.

Just my $0.02

The only reson i asked these questions is that i just bought :

Corals: A Quick Reference Guide, Julian Sprung

Inverts: A Quick Reference Guide, Julian Sprung

and i have been reading up on all corals in it. Know a lot thx to these books BUT in the species gender EUPHYLLIA common names above ^ it doesnt have much info on them. I would of bought ERIC BOREMANS book but i am only 15 and have just saved up about $181 over a year and cant afford the Eric boreman coral book.

I would be very grateful if you gave me a site that has good info on these corals, or helped me out :). after succesfully breeding my dwarf puffs i thought i would dearly love to do reefing. I have my plan set out that has been all cleared by ppl on this board.

p.s i tried joining a reef club but they, how could someone so young try reefing (even though i told them i had successfully spawned some dwarf puffs which is a bloody hard job ill tell ya) They said i was a joke and should stick to guppies and told me to leave :(. ANY my passion for the hobby is fired up and no one is gonna stop me setting up my nano.

coralreefengr

Since you have said books, may I recommend checking the glossary? You will learn what sweeper tentacles are as well as nematocysts. I have the Invertebrate guide. It's good for knowing what things look like and a general idea for care. Hopefully you can save up for something more substantial such as the Conscientious Marine Aquarist or similar in-depth resource.

Good luck.

i have not personally had these species, but i live quite close to a lfs that propigates all of them, and i visit several times a week to watch the livestock (i'm a junkie what can i say?).

from what i have seen in his tank, the longest sweepers of the three appear to be on his torch corals. under 250w halides with 1" seaswirls (at maximum output about 1200gph) i have been amazed to see the tentacles stretching out to 4 to 5 inches when the water flow goes past them.

from what he has said though, the lengths vary a lot from individual to individual, and can change at various times of day. the hammers for instance seem to have theirs out when the halides are off and they are out lookin for food.

your best bet would probably be to find the lfs that you are looking to buy from, put a down payment on one of the 3, and ask him to hold all three for a day. then come back the next morning right when he opens (presumably not too long after the lights come on), at mid day, and just before closing (when the lights most likely go off) and see if you can get a feel of the individual lengths over the course of a photo period.

once you have that information, you should be able to figure out which will fit best in your system, and where it should be placed.

my lfs just got some super green hammer in yesterday, i just might be going shopping for one myself tomorrow :)

hth

thx for the info. I feel just like you (junkie) even though i dont have my Nano setup yet i have two Freshwater setups (1 will be coverted into nano) and i get 5 gals of RO water from there i try my absolute best too get my rotine down to clockwork so that i have to refill my container every 1 or 2 weeks. I love just watching the emerald crabs eating , the xenia pumping and helping people out i.e the owner who doesnt no much . I no this may seem pretty sad but it's what i love doing cant help and cant wait for my nano :D

Today when i went :P i saw an awful cool torch, it was green + pink and had whitish tentacles coming out which i atomatically though sweepers, it touched a nearby toodstool leather. I was wondering id that would be enough to damage that coral or does it take resonable time to damage a coral.

My LFS is real expensive though what are these like compared to your prices: (i live in the uk so i will convert :)) :

hermit scarlet $6

blood/fire shrimp $15

shrooms average blue 1 $34

LR $ 23 THATS RIGHT PER KG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

p.s i have been recomeneded anotyher that is close :). NOT buying from there. have you got any pics of your nano?

Archived