Top Shelf Aquatics

dying goniopora

matteo_gugliotta

matteo_gugliotta

Hello,

I've a goniopora in my 15g. Yes, I know it's not good and it live only one year...

I have it since 4 months and I think it's dying (only 4 months :( ).

At the moment about the 20 to 30% of it is without polips.

What do you recommend ? Keep it in the tank or remove it to prevent pollution ?

thanks,

Matteo

Remove it. Goniopora just isn't well-suited to aquariums period, much less nanos. It'll continue to die.

If you can find an experienced goniopora keeper to donate it to, they can possibly even nurse it back to good health. These corals CAN live longer than a year if their needs are met.

In my opinion, goniopora shouldn't even be in the aquarium trade, though.

pull it.

A Sucker born into reefing, learn the hard way, every day...... :P

I agree MK, best left in the ocean along with many others.

Lunchbucket

i recommend next time research before you buy something. sorry you learned the hard way and killed a beatiful animal

Lunchbucket

is it completly dead?

it is challenging to keep goniopora,

sometimes moving them to another spot will help...

how's the calcium, iodine, alk, &ph of your water? are you adding phytoplankton to you water?

I wouldn't say to pull it YET....just start reading and trying to dose. In an article in Advanced Aquarist Online (check it out at www.reefs.org...I think its the December issue maybe), Sprung has had success in keeping Goniopora and Alveopora. He suggests dosing Iron and Manganese and keeping them in conditions more like where they're harvested from (the lagoonal side of the reef...which means water with more nutrients etc.) If you can't meet these needs because of trying to care for the differing requirements of other corals you have (i.e. trying to keep Goni with SPS for example), then I'd suggest finding it a home with someone who keeps a more lagoonal setup. I don't think that keeping Goniopora and Alveopora is exactly a sin...you just have to keep them in the proper conditions...and in a world where we 'skim, skim, skim and light, light, light' our tanks to death...keeping these corals will be increasingly difficult as they just don't come from these conditions naturally.

HTH...

• 3 weeks later...
printerdown01

Hey Deimos,

Thanks for the info... I'm glad to see someone is making some headway on the gonipora issue... From what I understand, it is still true that no one has really figured the problem out yet, so we don't really know what we are doing wrong. Hopefully we will have some answers in the near future.

matteo_gugliotta

I tried to dose more calcium for two weeks and now it seems the goniopora is recovering. Polips are growing on the died spots.

• 3 weeks later...

That could explain something Deimos. My Alveopora has never been the same since I switched from treated tapwater to RO/DI. So they like crappy water and bad lighting. DOH!

Archived