inTank Media Baskets

Hoob's 30g Finnex

Hoobahans

This is going to be a neat little tank when those sps get some growth. I loved the size of my 5.5, not too small, not too big.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One of my friends was staying in the dorm over break. He got sick and didn't do anything for three days and the ato got stuck, the water dropped FAR, a few spss died in the 5.5 and the 30 as well as a few other things. In the 30 the water went so low that a powerhead was exposed and it shot a jet of water onto the viper 150 watt glass, which exploded. In the 5.5 I am not sure what happened, the glass was intact but the bulb was burst. When the water got low the pump that feeds the 5.5 from the finnex stopped and the 5.5 heated up a lot. I think that the heat might have burst the bulb. Luckily most things are alright. The actinic bulbs in the 5.5 always stayed on so that probably helped a bit.

that sucks. you always think of a float switch getting stuck and overflowing the tank but not the other way around! maybe it's better just to have the ato on some sort of drip system if you're going to be gone for a long period of time.

The worst thing was that my RD (boss) wouldn't let anyone into the hall over break unless they were a RA, so only one guy was staying around. It wasn't Jared, he actually did a really good job of taking care of the schools tanks. I lost this gorgeous acro that Les gave me, it was a shame. On a brighter note, I just placed all my new coral throughout the tank and it really fills things out. I have to borrow the camera again, but I will post pics sometime this week.

Nice looking tanks!!!

I just wanted to know how you like the Tunze 9002 so far in your set-up? I am considering one for my finnex 30 gallon. Does it fit ok in the first chamber?

Nice looking tanks!!!

I just wanted to know how you like the Tunze 9002 so far in your set-up? I am considering one for my finnex 30 gallon. Does it fit ok in the first chamber?

It fits perfectly. There was actually so much extra room that I added a mj1200 connected to a lockline that goes over the bulkhead to feed the display area as well as another pump that feeds my 5.5. I also have the return for the 5.5 and the ato tube go through the 1st chamber with lots of room left over for anything else I might need underneath the skimmer. Oh yeah, my heater is in there too.

However, I did have my tunze powerhead break! I don't know what happened but it completly died. Apparently, I am the first person to ever have it break, ever. That according to Tunze. I took a minijet 606 and replaced it in the skimmer and it is working ok. Overall, I think that the 9002 is perfect for this tank.

They are actually soap dishes from walmart. There are a few threads around here all about them. They are really great for frags, the plugs fit right into them.

I pull a lot out of the water. Before the tunze powerhead broke, I actually thought that the water was a bit too clean as my zoas were growing slower than they used to despite higher light.

• 5 weeks later...

Do you have issues maintaining a constant water level in that 1st chamber? I have read the 9002 needs a stable water level for proper functioning of the unit.

No problems with the water level at all. The middle chamber is where the water moves around, the first stays constant.

• 2 months later...

Update time. I haven't seen my tank for two months! The same guy who built my pico stand (jimi thing here on nanoreef) is watching over my tank in his own house. The whole set up was moved in the back of my friends pick up. I moved the pico myself in the passanger seat of my car and it got a little mixed up. It was a hard move for the pico but under Glen's care it has rebounded better than I had expected. I was worried that the whole thing would crash from the move alone.

I am going to be back at school in a month and will have to move the tanks back to my dorm, up three flights of stairs and into my room. I am really excited to get back to taking care of my tanks.

Glen sent me these pics:

IMG_0357.JPG

IMG_0359.JPG

IMG_03611.JPG

IMG_0364.JPG

IMG_0354.JPG

• 1 month later...

Alright, here's an update. The tank will be replaced within a week with a new, larger system and I will start a new thread for that. I did a poor job of moving the tanks to a friend's house for care over the summer and a lot of the sps were stressed. Also, I found a rusty nail in the 5.5 that was causing HUGE blooms of algae that killed about half of the coral and caused major retention in all other. It was my fault as I used nails to hold on the aluminum foil to reflect light. I have taken down the 5.5 for the moment ad am keeping all the corals from it in the 30g finnex. The tank is a mess as all the rock and coral from the 5.5 are in it and I haven't cleaned it up do to the coming switch so no FTS, just some coral shots. Check out the pods in a few of the pics.

DSC_00066.JPG

DSC_00114.JPG

DSC_00163.JPG

DSC_00152.JPG

DSC_00271.JPG

DSC_00362.JPG

DSC_0037.JPG

DSC_00421.JPG

DSC_0075.JPG

DSC_00811.JPG

DSC_0092.JPG

DSC_01081.JPG

DSC_0110.JPG

DSC_01481.JPG

DSC_00293.JPG

DSC_00791.JPG

DSC_0083.JPG

DSC_00221.JPG

DSC_00085.JPG

DSC_00172.JPG

DSC_0028.JPG

DSC_00142.JPG

And the circle of life...had a spike due to a dying sponge in my fuge tank (set-up for the new system and lost my damsel...although the emerald crab didn't mind too much)

DSC_0090.JPG

Nikon D40x w/ Sigma 105mm

After moving the tank a mile in the back of a truck and up three flights of stairs the move to a new tank on the other side of my room will be a pleasure!

Just a few more...

DSC_0098.JPG

DSC_01171.JPG

DSC_01331.JPG

DSC_01402.JPG

DSC_0159.JPG

DSC_0161.JPG

DSC_0162.JPG

DSC_0173.JPG

DSC_01791.JPG

DSC_0187.JPG

As you can see, a lot of the sps have browned/bleached out. They are, however, looking like they are improving and in good health. I think that they will have a full recovery and hopefully color up ASAP.

The scourge of my tank. Bubble algae. I've had it so long that it is all covered in coraline and hard as cement. No joke.

DSC_00042.JPG

Weird TINY clam next to some baby lepestrea.

DSC_00115.JPG

DSC_00181.JPG

DSC_00211.JPG

Baby mushroom. Stuck under a rock with little light...oh well.

DSC_00252.JPG

DSC_00414.JPG

Looks like something nipped my crocea while I was away, what do you think?

DSC_00462.JPG

DSC_00551.JPG

And my Clown.

DSC_0094.JPG

Archived