Innovative Marine Aquariums

Sump size for a 90

Funeral Of Hearts

Funeral Of Hearts

What size sump should I go with for a 90 gal tank? Im going to buy the tank tomorrow, and I wanted to know what size sump I should go with.

I was going to buy a 65 gallon but convinced my wife a 90 would be better. In the 65 I was going to use a spare 25 gallon tank and convert it to a sump. Do I need a bigger sump than 25 gallons?

yes you do, you will be having way too much flow going through the sump, usually people go with a sump thats about half the size of their display, for my 125 im using a 40G breeder and a 30G next to it to hold the return pumps and the protein skimmer, im going to have the 40G breeder be a fuge and to hold filter media

yes you do, you will be having way too much flow going through the sump, usually people go with a sump thats about half the size of their display, for my 125 im using a 40G breeder and a 30G next to it to hold the return pumps and the protein skimmer, im going to have the 40G breeder be a fuge and to hold filter media

Why don't you just use a smaller return pump? Most of your flow shouldn't be coming from your return pump.

because with that much of a sump i can move more water through it, that and i really hate the look of powerheads, i am going to be getting two tunze nanostreams though

Funeral Of Hearts

Well I ordered the tank today. Its a 90 gal with overflow. 1" drain and 3/4" return.

Just gotta get a stand, sump, lights etc... lol

because with that much of a sump i can move more water through it, that and i really hate the look of powerheads, i am going to be getting two tunze nanostreams though

I agree with you on hating powerheads (and I also just added a nanostream too), but I try to keep the sump flow down to turn the tank over about 5 times/hour, then set up a closed loop for the rest of the flow.

• 1 month later...
Atlantis Reef

I have a 29g as my sump for my 90 and it works great!! But I do wish I had a little bigger but since I had 29 laying around it was a cheap build

Archived