Innovative Marine Aquariums

feather duster and hermit

Zero

my hermit pulled the crown off the feather duster out of its tube....is the feather duster dead or what i have no idea....and the crab is going to my LFS tommorow....so whats up????

Mine sometime take a couple weeks before the new head regrows and reappears. In about a week, put your hand in the tank and gently touch/move the tube around. If you feel the quick jerk of the retracting worm, chances are it is OK and just give some more time until the new crown is grown and re-surfaces. If there is no movement and (has not happened to me yet but would assume) "stuff" comes out of the tube that would appear to be decomposing flesh remains "brown cloud", then I would very carefully remove it from the tank. It is not abnormal for the worm to loose it's crown and chances are it will reappear with a new smaller one within a couple weeks. Remember, it does not grow instantly and takes a good amount of time so be patient. Good luck.

Did you watch the hermit pull the crown off?

If so, the worm is dead, a hermit isn't going to pull the crown off a live worm. The worm may have shed it and left it hanging at the end of the tube, but usually they push it out.

Worms will shed their crown, usually as a repsonse to stress and the hermit may have been messing with it after the shed event.

Archived