ReefCleaners.org

Need Some help on my new clam.

Lebowski

well, just got a maxima from bryan (TLR).

The thing is it's 2 3/4". I've been feeding DT's every day. I have a squammy, the maxima, and 2 big feather dusters ( and thousands of little ones) those are the primary plankton consumers. Will the clam have enough the survive? How much dt's should I put in, 29 gal. I am currently putting in a quarter of the cap in everyday.

There is also the method on clamsdirect. Where to place the clam in a container with DT's but, the maxima is already attached with the foot onto the rock, it would most likely stress it.

Here's a pick of the beauty, the stripes and dots are a really metallic baby blue in my tank, it is gorgeous.

Any help please. The clam seems to love the tank so far, but it's only been 2 days.

I'm not sure. But, I don't think you need to feed your tank like that every day. Well, depends on how big your tank is. If I were shooting for daily feeding, I would try to spot feed the clam and anything else you think might enjoy it. Less waste just floating around the tank.

Oh and that's one heck of a clam you have there. :)

John

A good way to spot feed is to cut the bottom out of a 2 liter coke bottle and place it over the clam and then use a piece of tubing to put the DT's in the neck of the bottle. It will stay basically around the clam and after about 15 min. or so remove the bottle and let whatever is left spread out in the tank. I would do this about every other day. The clam is almost big enough to not need feedings as often, If your lights are MH's. if not, keep feeding regularly and upgrade ASAP.

Steve

cut a 2 liter soda bottle in half. place the cut half over the clam and pump DT into the opening on top. this will help keep the DT some what saturated in there for the clam to eat.

the removing it and putting it in a container for "feeding" is a VERY BAD IDEA. your assumptions about stress is true. THat much food in one shot chokes the clam to the point that it will start to reject the food. The above mentioned feeding methods and "target" feeding with a slow flow froma turkey baster is good.

Alright thanks guys.

Thanks for the compliment on my clam, I really like it. It is really beautiful in my tank, maybe it was just the camera in that pic, but in my tank the spots and all the white details are a really nice baby blue. I'll try to get some pics

Archived