inTank Media Baskets

FOWLR Tank

Cesar

I think I'm going to bite the bullet and just go for it. I have been debating about this for too long already. I have a brand new 60g acrylic tank at home, still in the plastic. I'm going to turn that tank into a FOWLR tank. Does anyone here on Nano-Reef have any experience with these kind of tanks?

I'm wondering if I will need a sump for this project though? Should I drill the tank? Another thing is, how many fish could I keep in a 60g tank? Would it be overkill if I leave the 250W MH light on that tank?

I will have more questions coming up. LOL.

I think I'm going to bite the bullet and just go for it. I have been debating about this for too long already. I have a brand new 60g acrylic tank at home, still in the plastic. I'm going to turn that tank into a FOWLR tank. Does anyone here on Nano-Reef have any experience with these kind of tanks?

I'm wondering if I will need a sump for this project though? Should I drill the tank? Another thing is, how many fish could I keep in a 60g tank? Would it be overkill if I leave the 250W MH light on that tank?

I will have more questions coming up. LOL.

Cool. Basically I'd set it up just as if you where doing a low/medium light coral tank. Easy on the flow and lights. Maybe 10-20x turn over per hour. Personally I don't think I'd even consider doing a MH on a FOWLR tank. Just asking for algae problems if you ask me. I'd go with a double std. fluorescent strip or simple 2x65w power compact strip. I think the most important part will just be getting it setup good from a biological standpoint. Good live rock and good live sand, and/or steal stuff from other established tanks. Caribsea Arag-alive sand seems to work good too. I don't know if you'd necessarily need a sump, but if not, a good hang on back skimmer might not be a bad idea and of course a refugium is always nice too, but up to you.

As far as fish number, that is kind of hard to estimate. Are you going with a theme? Like aggressives, smaller fish, bigger fish, or a mix of small and big? If a mix of small and big, I'd probably go with 1-3 mid-large (like under 7") fish and then 4-8 small-medium fish (1"-4").

Cool. Basically I'd set it up just as if you where doing a low/medium light coral tank. Easy on the flow and lights. Maybe 10-20x turn over per hour. Personally I don't think I'd even consider doing a MH on a FOWLR tank. Just asking for algae problems if you ask me. I'd go with a double std. fluorescent strip or simple 2x65w power compact strip. I think the most important part will just be getting it setup good from a biological standpoint. Good live rock and good live sand, and/or steal stuff from other established tanks. Caribsea Arag-alive sand seems to work good too. I don't know if you'd necessarily need a sump, but if not, a good hang on back skimmer might not be a bad idea and of course a refugium is always nice too, but up to you.

As far as fish number, that is kind of hard to estimate. Are you going with a theme? Like aggressives, smaller fish, bigger fish, or a mix of small and big? If a mix of small and big, I'd probably go with 1-3 mid-large (like under 7") fish and then 4-8 small-medium fish (1"-4").

Well I think that my LR is pretty stable and cured, so there should be no issue with that. I do have a 130W PC light fixture that is here with me so I guess I can use that. Only thing is that it might look ghetto or ugly because it doesn't hang from the ceiling. It would just lay on top of the tank. Not sure if that will look cool.

Theme? Well I was thinking more in the lines of a large fish deal. Maybe like 2 large fish. A trigger and a puffer. But I think that a 60g tank will not be big enough for theses fishes. Maybe I can do something like a Valentini puffer and 2 or 3 other smaller fish. Maybe an aggressive yellow stripe clown and some other kind of DAMNsel.

I heard from some other forum that a sump would be good for filtration reasons. Since I'm not going to have corals I guess I can have a wet dry system and don't worry about nitrates and things like that. I need to look at that more. They say that larger tanks are for some reason more stable.

one huge trigger would blow peeps heads off. :)

Actually that would be killer dude. One large Clown Trigger but I think they require a 75g tank, at least.

Also go with the HOB Deltec MCE 600

Not sure what this is but I will look it up. Is that a skimmer?

I have been looking at the liveaquaria website and I noticed that I can keep some of the Dwarf Angels in that 60g tank, but...Question. When it says that I can keep a Lemon peal angel in there because it only requires a 30g tank, does that mean that I can only keep one more about the same size of fish? You would think I know this being here for 2 almost 3 years, lol.

If you go with the lemon peel I'd suggest that being the only dwarf angel. You may want to avoid a yellow tang as well. Personally, Lemon Peel's are one of my favorite angels, they've definitely got an understated beauty about them, kind of like Kole Tangs.

Archived