Pod Your Reef

20L at 5 months

jburke30

Here's the latest pics of my 20L tank. I'm looking for suggestions on how to make it better, so feel free to post comments and ideas.

Really nice. You did a good job on the aquascaping.

Here's how I think you should make it better:

1. Remove the rock with the bubble aglae if you can. Or get an emerald crab to eat it.

2. Add some corals for crying out loud! What are you waiting for?

Specs...

It's been up and running without any major issues since November 22nd of last year.

Setup -

20L glass tank.

330 Penguin Filter w/bio-wheel and carbon.

Maxi-jet 1200 PH (1).

Lee's medium counter current skimmer.

45 lbs of fine/small aragonite mix.

24 lbs of Live rock.

Critters -

1 Bi-colored blenny

1 Yellow-belly damsel

10 Astrea snails

5 bumblebee snails

1 Mithrax crab

5 Pepermint shrimp (these guys have to go, they're monsters now that the aptaisa is gone. They eat anything and everything - snails, mushroom frags, etc).

Originally posted by Korbin

Really nice.   You did a good job on the aquascaping.  

Here's how I think you should make it better:

1.  Remove the rock with the bubble aglae if you can.  Or get an emerald crab to eat it.

2.  Add some corals for crying out loud!   What are you waiting for?

I have an emerald crab, but he seems more interested in other things =). The bubble algae is actually on just about everything now, so I'll have to add some more biological predators to fix it.

Yes, yes! Corals. I was waiting to reach the 6 month point before I add any coral (to get solidly into the settle in period), but I'm sure that I can add some now without issue. I also have to get rid of those (damn!) pepermint shrimp since last time I added a small mushroom frag they ate it (along with all my stomatella snails - 3 in all).

Thanks for the comment.

Since you have no coral as of yet, I would suggest getting a decorator crab to take care of the bubble. One will chow it down in a matter of days but would do the same to coral if you had it. I don't think they are very expensive and are worth it if the bubble is out of control and again, since there is no coral as of yet.

Originally posted by CRG

What lighting are you using?  I'm interested in setting up a 20L with MH, but I'm really not sure what setup to purchase.

Hey CRG,

I ordered the 2x55 watt retrofit kit from ahsupply.com with their 50/50 bulbs last year. However, I've been told that the blue half is not really actinc but instead blue shading in the bulb. The price was reasonable though at $125.00 for the whole setup. I've set the lights on top of a glass cover, and I'm (still!) trying to figure out the cheapest and best hood setup.

I would highly recommend the kit, but I may try different bulbs when I replace these (which is comming up soon =).

I am familiar with the AH Supply kit, as I currently have the 2X36W model installed on my 18Tall. However, I ordered my bulbs from hellolights (10000K and Actinic 03). Just a thought...you may want to try one of the AH Supply finished enclosures. I believe you can purchase the 30" model for about $30, which is a great deal. I have the 20" hood, and its worked out great for me so far.

Nishant3789

its not sooo bad, yea i like to rockscaping too, i tihnk wahtd make ure tank look a lil nicer is a blue background, it really makes a difference imo. and as for the 6 month thing u didnt really have to, after the cycle u can start adding in hardy corals like star polysp shrooms zoos etc. anyways, good luck!

nishant

Archived