Coral Vue Hydros

fire shrimp molting and water quality

cooksalot

i thought i read somewhere that shrimp needed good water quality to molt. is that true or am i mistaken? i started having major tank trouble after my banggai died (the whole story is here: http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=107893) and my ammonia spiked. i just came home and did another water change, and noticed what i thought was my fire shrimp dead, but it turns out it was just his molt and he's hanging out behind the rocks and looks fine. anyway, i removed the molt since i don't need anything else adding to my problems.

so i have two questions, one, do they need good water quality to molt? i'm hoping maybe i'm on the upswing of this mess, and two, since they are vulnerable after they molt, will he be more susceptible to ammonia at this point? i'm trying so hard to keep everything alive in there and i'm mainly afraid that if he does die he'll be way behind the rocks and hard to scoop out.

They don't need good water quality to molt necessarily, they need good water to survive the molt.

A single dead shrimp probably won't cause you any problems though... I wouldn't be too concerned about it.

They don't need good water quality to molt necessarily, they need good water to survive the molt.

A single dead shrimp probably won't cause you any problems though... I wouldn't be too concerned about it.

thanks..i knew i read something about water quality and molting. i hope he makes it...he's a cool little guy.

Archived