Coral Vue Hydros

White spots on zoanthids?

2bb

Hi guys,

It's my first experience with white spots on zoos... not on the mouths or the 'petals' but on the 'stems'... the zoos I keep are obviously thriving but it bugs me when I see white spots on them... it's so weird.

Any clues what they are? Disease? Any treatment?

Pls kindly advise... will provide photos if possible...

Thanks!

mandarin dragonet

naaaaaaaah, its just cynobacteria. this is caused by inadequeat flow. i got mine from the store like that. if its like a film then yea. nothing too bad. ;)

• 2 weeks later...

try popping them with a needle, if you see white puss like stuff come out then its a bad sign and will spread and kill your zoanthids slowly. for treatment pop as many as you can and rinse in a iodine dip for 5 minutes. repeat weekly.

I had the exact same thing that you are talking about, they look like little pimples all over the stalks, right? I made a lugos iodine dip, took out the colony. and then used a scalpel to pop and drain every single dot. It took a bit, and the zoas were out of water for probably twenty minutes, and then went through an extra long dip, but they opened withing twenty minutes of returning to the tank and have since thrived. My suggestion is either take care of it or get them out now, because they spread fast.

Archived