SaltCritters.com

Best test kits?

Littleoceans

Littleoceans

Hi all, I am starting up a mini bow in my office within the next few weeks and was wondering what is the best bang for the buck test kits out there. What is everyone using these days? Thanks for all replies..... David

Originally posted by Littleoceans

Hi all, I am starting up a mini bow in my office within the next few weeks and was wondering what is the best bang for the buck test kits out there. What is everyone using these days? Thanks for all replies..... David

I also would like to know. I am not even worried about best bang for the buck -- i just want a good kit!!

I have found that most reefers I talk to recommend either Fastest or Salifert or Saftest. I'm guessing on the last on, but it's something like that. I use fastest, after doing a water test I went to 2 different LFS's and they got the same results. I'm not saying that means everything, but it gave me some confidence in the product. Actually that would make a good POLL question.

I use nothing but Salifert tests on my current aquarium. Love the tests. At www.marinedepot.com they sell nitrogen cycle and reef salifert test kit collections. You pay just a little bit less for each kit if you buy the two packages. But, overall, the prices on the kits aren't that bad.

With my 55 gallon reef, I never completely used up a test kit and that aquarium ran for two years.

John

Actually here's one tip. Stay away from freshsalt kits you find at places like Petcopetsmart. Good price, bad results. Don't get me wrong, they're a good store for alot of pet products, just not marine ones.

technoshaman

Salifert are definitely the most accurate in my opinion and I've tried many. RedSea test kits are pretty bad IMO. The only problem with salifert kits is usually you have to mail order them since lots of LFS don't stock them.

I would also beware of the Red Sea kit. On its ph test I got completely different results when viewed under different lighting. Incandescent gave me 7.8, 6400K gave me 8.6. This isn't normal with most kits right? My AP kit gives the same reading under any kind of light.

Archived