Pod Your Reef

A friend wants to set up a nano

cmoreash

Hi everyone, one of my friends wants to set up a 10 gallon nano, but he doesn't want to pay a lot for lighting.  He wants only live rock, with some crabs and snails.  no corals :(.   But, he wants to know if 15 or 30 watts NO flo. will do the job....

Anyone know some ultra cheap PC?????  I want him to get good lights but he won't pay the $$$!!!

Thanks, cm :)

Nishant3789

lol well if he doesnt want any fcorals then theres no problem really the NO will work fine. but teach hium more about nano-reefing and what fun corals can be, and mayb helll be willing to spit up some cash.... btw, the single 36 watt strip lights are only 45 bucks at www.petsupplyliquidator.com

nishant

nishant

It appears that what he is wanting is what I started with, a nano-fish/invert-with live rock.  I am using this tank to seed the base rock for my 30 gallon reef that I am putting together, and all of the life in it has been doing great for the past 6 months.  cant wait till I get rich.

When I first started with SW tanks, I said "I'm keeping a fish only tank... NO CORALS." 2 Weeks later I upgraded my tank and lights... Believe me, your friends gonna want to do the same... Tell your friend to just shell out the money even if he doesn't want corals, cause later on, he'll probably will. :)

Tell him to get the 36 watt PC kit.  That will support his LR and some softies, then he can easily add another 36 watt PC WHEN he just has to have that brain coral, etc.

Quote: from My Alife 7 on 7:28 pm on June 30, 2002[br]When I first started with SW tanks, I said "I'm keeping a fish only tank... NO CORALS." 2 Weeks later I upgraded my tank and lights... Believe me, your friends gonna want to do the same... Tell your friend to just shell out the money even if he doesn't want corals, cause later on, he'll probably will. :)

ahaha same thing with me! thats what i said exactly!

I have told him he'll want corals eventually :).   I was thinking the same thing when I was at his stage in the game, but i decided to shell out for 2x55 PC.  It was a good investment, this light is great!

it's just the natural evolution of the hobby.  or as my wife puts it a junkie's fix.  if we only knew then what we know now, the money we all would've saved! :`(

geoffgarcia

if all he wants is snails and rocks tell him to just make a freshwater tank and go out to his local stream.

that 4x15w NO idea sounds horrible.

Taking shortcuts in this hobby end up costing more, and taking longer.

for 100$ he can get a 2x36w PC hood...from here:

http://www.petsupplyliquidator.com/

for 20$ more he can get a 2x55w PC hood there also!

Thats where I got mine and I dont' have a single complaint! I have 2x55w on a 15 gallon, I put it on my 10 gallon tank and it fit perfectly also (just need to play with the legs of course)

This was the cost of my 15 gallon tank setup:

lighting 2x55pc=120$

LR (20lbs)=120$

Snail/hermits=45$

15+frags from fellow reefers=free

Tell him to save money on the LR by getting dead base rock and just seeding it with some scraping from your tank or by borrowing 2-3 pieces from your tank for a month or two, also get someone to send him some strombuz grazer snails that reproduce quickly (he won't need anything else cept maybe 1-3 blue legged hermits)

Archived