Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

My Diy Top Off Device

mauro

Hi there,

I just finished my top off device, taking inspiration from various internet DIY projects.

It is the gravity feed /syphon contrlled, it has a capacity of just 2 liters, but it is enougth for my 12 liter pico reef.

How I do it:

I took a clear acrylic pasta container (as i live in Italy this was easy)

I drill two little holes in the cover and I glued in to the holes two

airline straigth connectors, to one of them i attached a rigid pice of air line tube that is long enougth to reach the very bottom of the container.

Than I drill at the center of the cover a bigger hole (it is where you pour the RO water), then I cut the neck of a plastic water bottle and i glue it around the big hole, in this way I obtained a perfect ermetic closure (the bottle has a screw type plug).

Finally I connect two clear airline tubes to the ouside part of the two conectors.

I put the other end of the tubes in the tank water (the one not connected to the rigids tube just above the water level, the other just below the water level)

I fiil the container and close it with the plug and I start the syphon.

Water will flows to the tank trougth the rigid tube A until the level will reach the other tube B then air is prevented to enter the container and the water flows stop, when water evaporates the

B tube will be exsposed and air start again to flow in the container so water to the tank via tube A and everithing start again).

Very nice Mauro!

How often do you have to fill the top off container? I'm thinking of building a 2.5 gallon tank and your top off method would work well for that tank.

SeaMountain
:o Nice post... But I'm still trying to picture the whole thing in my mind! LMAO!!! THink I'll have to put one together to understand the TOTAL PICTURE. Otherwise, if CaliforniaReefs gets back I'll order a top-off from physh1!!! ;)

hi,

the pasta container need to be refilled every 20 days

since my pico reef is not an open one so very few water evaporates.

when I refill it I clamp both air line tubes so the syphon remains primed while I unscrew the plug

regards Mauro

Super, thanks for the link, something I definatly have to do for my 2.5 once the semester is done.

freakaccident

A 2 liter bottle will work quite nicely too. Just drill a couple small holes through the cap and shove the two hard lines though. Silicone them up and you are good to go.

If you don't want to have to get the siphon going every time you refill it, you could drill a hole in the bottom of the water container and attach the water output tube to it, then seal it up with some epoxy.

Just a specification:

whatever container you decide to use, make sure it is rigid!

If not it when air stop to flow in it will schrink and the water does not stop to flow to the tank.

SeaMountain
Originally posted by pulse13

A nalgene bottle would make a good container.  You can get them out outdoor / sporting goods stores.

My thought exactly pulse! I have quite a few of them laying around the place, but think I'll grab a new one and maybe a larger one. The ones I have had had quite a number of things carried in them! :D

I was just explaining this setup to a friend of mine in the lab that I work in. He pointed out that there has to be one change in the plan in order for the setup to function properly. This is that the water output tube cannot be in the tank water, but has to be raised above it so that water drips in. This is because if the output tube is in the tank water, then the topoff bottle and the aquarium are one continous system connected by the tube. Because of the osmotic differences of the two containers, salt ions will quickly flow up the tube and into the topoff water until the two are of equal concentration.

Interesting this fact on ion balance, but not very practical,

infact if you keep the inflow tube above the water level it easier lost the priming (I do not know why ) and the syphon stop foreever.

I'll test the refill tank in order to see if the ion effect has produced

appreciable result (my top off water is in the container since feb)

regards

SeaMountain

I stopped by Wally-World and picked up a pack of air hose, bottle and silicone to fabricate a makeshift top-off until Physh1 can get back to me. My plan is to drill a small hole just above the bottom of the bottle instead of through the top. This way it will be gravity fed. So if you were wanting to keep the outflow line up out of the water, losing the siphoning effect wouldn't be a problem. Nor would this ion thing climbing back up the line.

As for the air input, I'm going to drill it into the bottle just below the cap and knot it off so it doesn't slide or move around too much. The bottle I picked up was a Coleman nalgene bottle 1000ml for $5.87. I have a number of these bottles at home but I wanted to be certain there wasn't any foods or contamination from earlier uses on camping/climbing outings. B)

Hi there,

you guys convinced me!

I'm going to "refurbish" my top off device converting it into the

"hole in the bottom" version. It is less "magic" but safer and ion proof.

mauro

Archived