Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

What's your LFS charge for a Red Leg Hermit?

SeaMountain

SeaMountain

Get this...

Stopped by the LFS and as always no prices on tanks for SW stuff...

I was thinking about dropping in one hermit to start on algae and basically to have something to watch for another couple of weeks while tank settles in.

I ask a young gal working there, "How much for the red leg?" and she has no idea. Tells me she'll check and come back...

After about 10 minutes of staring into their badly kept SW tanks, she returns.

Apparently the Blue Legs are $4.99... Okay I thought... I would pay $4.99 to take ONE home today just for kicks...

Then she drops on me the Red Legs were $12.99!!! YIKES!!! I cry!!! $12.99!?!?

OLS's have them for $1.99 as a rule!

Are Red Legs this high in your LFS's? ???

Not quite that high, but they're pricey. $3-$5 a pop, depending on where I go. I won't get inverts like that at LFSs anymore. You should see if there's someone else in your corner of the world who can split a Just Phish order with you. For $30 each your tanks will be crawling with little creatures.

The reef store i go to sells blue legs and astrea snails for $1.00 a peice. $1.50 if they are covered in corraline algea and the red legs are $3.50. Thier corals tend to be a bit over priced however.......

The on the corner LFS. Hermits start at 3 and go to about 6.

Jeff's 20 minutes away with no traffic. Red legs-.75, blue legs-$1, left handed- $1. I drive take the drive.

depends on the stores you go to here in SoCal. Lizbeth's prices are pretty much on point, but there's a LFS by my house that sells all the snails/hermits they get for $1 each. Sometimes I just ask him for some when I get water or corals, and he just grabs them out of the tank and plops them into a bad NO CHARGE. I guess it helps that I give him xenia for store credit

LFS Reef Collection sent me an email last night about there new arrivals. One of them was,

Red Leg Hermits $0.65 each or buy 20 get 8 free

There Prices makes jeff's look expensive =]

Seattle, WA - I buy Red Tips for $1.49. Great cleaners. Red Leg $1.99 and that's individual. I could see a small queen conch going for 12.99. I hope you have other LFS options in your area.

Take the highest price you can find and then multiply by 2 or 3 then add a few bucks. This is close to what anything costs here in NYC at New World Aquarium. Monopolys be damned!

matteo_gugliotta

It's difficult to find them in Italy.

I got a zebra hermit for 9€.

Astrea snails cost also 9€.

Anyone shipping to Italy ?

it all depends on sizes also. you can buy small or PINHEAD crabs cheeply, but they generly fight a lot for new homes at they grow, and unless you have a bunch of shells, they will die or get eaten.

Average COST to any LFS is .65 to 1.95 per crab. Mark up is usualy 200 % above cost. SOme places (due to remote shipping or market yield) ie: East coast aka NYC, can get upwards of 7.00-12.00 each. It is ludicrius I agree, but if 'tards want to pay that, then so be it. Some people have the $ and don't care. I for one will spend my money elsewhere.

My price, 3.00 a crab. Average decent sized.

SNAILS are on the uprise in cost though...... I pay upwards of 1.50 each now COST... but they are healthy and good sized.

Liz, for those low prices, be aware you are walking off the street into a wholesaler.... I am very ####ed that a retail customer can walkinto his stire and buy stuff from him cheeper than I can get it PLUSS pay to have it sent to me..... its just bad buisness and cutthroat at best when he sends me over priced wholesale "Transship" price sheets and charges for rebag/air in non direct flights.

Archived