Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

frag tank , DSB?

noobwithatank

noobwithatank

well i got thinking, could you use a DSB in a frag tank. would this not help out over all?

i recently started fraggin my softies and once the other tank is done i wish to turn the 15 gallon into a frag tank. the light is staying (65x2 pc's) and i was wondering if a deep sand bed, 6-7inchs would do anything for a frag tank? i would have some live rock rubble in there, an some chaeto aswell.

I am sure that it would do something in the way of metals sequestration & denitrification, but the real question is whether or not you will actually notice any of the theoretical benefits.

noobwithatank
I am sure that it would do something in the way of metals sequestration & denitrification, but the real question is whether or not you will actually notice any of the theoretical benefits.

ya that is the question, with no "real" livestock in there (fish) there wont be a real high bioload. im not really a fan of the eggcreate method but it seems to be the best proven one out there. u know..

Well, while the benefits may be in doubt, I can't think of a bad effects of having a DSB, but you need to take care never to disturb it very deeply.

If you have the $$ for the extra sand, why not try it?

noobwithatank

i think i might do this.. im getting the buzz from not being able to work on my breeder tank project due to the always fun shipping delays on items.

I don't think you are going to see any benefit with 6" in a 15 gallon tank. Use a remote DSB in a 5 gallon bucket with the sand almost completely to the top of the bucket and use a very low flow through it. I think that would be more effective.

• 2 weeks later...
noobwithatank

well i said screw that, setup an older 35gallon (mind the salt etch? i believe thats what it is..lol) an put up a tek5 6 bulb unit. this is holding all my stuff until i get my other tank finished.. there was just no room in the 15 gallon.

:wub:

post-19870-1169502324_thumb.jpg

post-19870-1169502332_thumb.jpg

post-19870-1169502339_thumb.jpg

post-19870-1169502344_thumb.jpg

any comments / suggestion are welcomed.

Contrary to what some may say, I believe that corals do create bioload, and if all you have is corals on little pieces of rock, with no liverock and no sand, you may have some problems. I wasn't sure if sand would help me either, and when I put in in my 40L breeder it was mostly to provide reflection from the bottom of the tank for greater light, other problemms with algae and cyano went away after I added sand and some rock.

noobwithatank
Contrary to what some may say, I believe that corals do create bioload, and if all you have is corals on little pieces of rock, with no liverock and no sand, you may have some problems. I wasn't sure if sand would help me either, and when I put in in my 40L breeder it was mostly to provide reflection from the bottom of the tank for greater light, other problemms with algae and cyano went away after I added sand and some rock.

hrm, i have roughly 30lbs of rock on the far right of the tank with other corals growning on it slowly.

The Propagator

Personaly I would AVOID a DSB in a frag tank.

They require huge amounts of sand sifters to make it work properly, and take a LOOOOOoooong time to fully seed and become a beneficial part of the denitrifying process.

Now throw into the mix a bunch of fresh cut frags, and LR rubble being constantly moved in and out and a DSB would probably hurt you more than help you based on the constant mini cycles.

I would go with a 1.5" to 2" aragonite based bed.

They seed MUCH faster and dont require half the critters to keep it clean and functioning. AND because it is penetrated more easly by water current there is a MUCH lower risk of releasing built up amonia and nitrite pockets.

;)

You wont see near the amount of red slime, hair algae, and brown diatomes either as it cycles.

Any one remember Skylab, and Snake?

The two morons pomoting tri-cabon based filtration systems and right-now bactearia? They tried to make an arguement similair to this once I think. ( failed horribly)

I always hate it when I miss one little word. "Deep" this time. I am not a big advocate of deep sand beds anyway. I was actually thinking of a bed no more than 2-3" deep. I agree with Prop on this one.

Since I am using a 40L breeder as a prop tank, I just piled rock up on either end to help with filtration, looks kinda interesting, kind of like a planted field with the jungle on either end.

Archived