ReefCleaners.org

can we be sure of sources?

Aesodh

I'm pretty sure the answer to this question is invariably going to be "no", but is there anyway to know live rock is actually aquacultured and fish were captive bred and they're not the result of someone hacking away at a reef, squirting chemicals and chrushing corals catching wild fish? I know knowing the true source is probably about as likely as finding out whether "organic vegetables" really aren't just the same crap laden ones next to them... but I have hope I geuss.

Well, with organics produce, there are some pretty stiff laws about what can get the label and what can't, so that problem is improving.

Unfortunately, so much regulations exist for the aquarium industry. You really have to stick with people you feel you can personally trust. And more unfortunately, that usually does not include local sources, as they're the 2nd, 3rd, or 4th man in the chain, and they could be receiving misinformation themselves. If you want to be very careful about buying responsibly, you really have to stick to online unless your local sources are exceptional.

For live rock and sand, most online popular online aquacultered sources are reliable. Tampa Bay, for example, has proven itself to many enthusiasts.

When it comes to critters, though, I only feel comfortable with one supplier, but I couldn't be happier with her. Mary at SeaCrop (http://www.seacrop.com/) is incredible, with an ever-changing selection of safe-captured and tank-raised fish and corals, unlike a lot of other places who maintain only a very limited selection. She does all the leg work in identifying which collectors and wholesalers are providing reef-safe animals. I highly recommend you check out her offerings.

If anyone else has any similar suppliers, I'd love to hear about them. SeaCorp is the only top-notch I've discovered so far.

Matthew

ORA is captive 100 % if they say so. they also clly stuff that is wild caught.

ANY AQUACULTURED ROCK is just that..... man made.

Frags and CAPTIVE BRED CORALS are from the wild, but grown in captivity and fragged there for sale. Some colonies being many years old.

HTH.

Archived