Top Shelf Aquatics

Haloween hermit FREAKING out over clam foot...

Helfrichs Chick

Helfrichs Chick

Ok well I wanted to throw this out there for anyone who may want a halloween hermit and has clams. I bought a clam, and after acclimation placed it in the sand (Maxima BTW) After about 5 min I noticed my Halloween hermit going ape S***. He finally manages to find the clam, rips him out of the sand and rolls him over. The hermit this whole time is acting like he is in a feeding frenzy. I mean going freaking ballistic~! He is reaching up into the foot of the clam, I can only assume to eat, but I would pull him off before he could actually get any meat.

Ok so I pull him off and put the hermit on the other side of the tank. He looks so frantic! He is running around knocking corals off their rocks, and not more than 2 min later he is back on the clam doing the same thing. Needless to say he slept in a glass that night and went back to the LFS the very next day.

Has anyone heard of this? Had this happen? Do clams put of some sort of chemical, that the hermit might have been able to smell and react to? Why was he the only one? I have blue bandeds and scarlets, they could have cared less. Was just weird.

You can see him here in these pics. The pic with the Zoas he is at the very top of the pic. It really sucks he was a cleam freak, as I really did like him. ALSO this is not the true Halloween hermit that is in many books, everywhere I found it said it is that, but I am sure its not.

post-19268-1168449277_thumb.jpg

post-19268-1168449290_thumb.jpg

Ever since my experience will my giant Electric Blue Leg trashing corals and knocking crap over all the time, I have been staying away from large crabs...good thing to get rid of...even if it looked cool.

post-17519-1142188996_thumb.jpg post-17519-1142189479_thumb.jpg

My six line wrasse did the same thing to one of my Maxima's. I found the clams foot in it's mouth though. Luckily the clam survived and I still have the wrasse and it hasn't happened again.

Archived