Top Shelf Aquatics

Maybe some help?

halo

Hi guys,

I may have the opportunity to upgrade to a Juwel RIO 180 in the next couple of months.

I like in the UK so I dont have as many options as you guys do in terms of lighting.

I would like metal halides but I cant hang them from the ceiling and in terms of products im restricted therefore to either overhead lumaires (arcadia) or similar.

I was thinking of the 90cm (36") 4 x 39w unit which fits in nicely along with a Deltec MCE600 skimmer. Deltec also do something called the mega twin lighting set up but despite the pics this seems to be 2 T5 units rather than 4.

Obviously I would like some comments/thoughts on this set up as the Juwel is a slightly deeper tank than most. The reason I want the Juwel is that it measures just over 100cm as I cant quite fit in the 48inch tanks in the space I have.

Would the 4*T5 units be suitable for SPS etc? any ideas?

I can't speak from experience yet, but from everything I've read, T5 are actually much more powerful than MH. Lots of people experience bleaching when switching from MH to T5. So yeah, I think T5 would do well. Again, this isn't from experience though.

I can't speak from experience yet, but from everything I've read, T5 are actually much more powerful than MH. Lots of people experience bleaching when switching from MH to T5. So yeah, I think T5 would do well. Again, this isn't from experience though.

Thanks for that, I have certainly started to see evidence that T5 lighting is a good option. Its around £100 more for the metal halides (about $180) which would pay for a nice sump system !!

The only thing I can recommend for T5 is that you make sure the fixture you're buying has good reflectors in it. I know I spent a good bit more than I maybe should've to get a Tek fixture, but I know from their reputation that it'll suit my needs.

Well an update (if anyone is interested)

I went out and bashed the plastic with a revised plan.

On order is a Juwel Rio 180 tank (101 x 50 x 41cm)

Deltec MCE300 skimmer and Arcadia 100cm Marine With T5 Lamps 4x39w (overhead luminaire)

Im going to take the keep it simple stupid basis and maybe upgrade to a sump at a later date. Plan is to add a tunze powerhead with controller.

Going to start planning transfer of stock once I know timescales for the tank arriving

• 2 weeks later...

Ok quick update and couple of Qs

Plan is now to run a miracle mud sump (24*10*12) this is on order and should arrive this week. Tank arrived today but came with wrong cabinet and lights are still on order as is Tunze Nano Stream :angry:

I have a slight problem with the tank - being a Juwel 180 its got a bloody great bar/brace in the middle from front to back. Is this going to cause me problems with the overhead luminaire?

The next piece of the jigsaw is to get the cabinet rebuilt to take the sump and the skimmer as I want it to be hidden. Had to order an overflow from the US of A - that should come in a couple of weeks. We have no reliable and fair priced equivalents over here (closest is $260!!).

• 2 weeks later...

Ok quick update since I havent had much time lately.

Plastic centre brace has been cut out and a new glass brace cut and siliconed in place. Its suspicously un-secure though so im going to test for bowing before moving any further. I have a spare brace if its not holding so I can reinforce it.

Going to paint rear of tank tonight.

Just waiting for overflow to arrive from US and my lights still havent arrived (supplier issues).

Still waiting for sump as well though all the lights and miracle mud/pumps etc are here waiting to go in.

Once I get the tank painted ill start posting some pics of progress. Hopefully get the cabinet design sorted out as well.

• 4 weeks later...

Cant believe its been a month since last post. Been really busy at work and at home.

Tank is now painted however, overflow is here along with lights and tank for sump. The only part I need now is the plumbing and the cabinet adjusted to take the sump.

Will get some pics up this week showing all the bits !

• 1 month later...

UPDATE!

Ok tank is finally in my garage - pics to follow later tonight.

Basically in final stages now, overflow is hung (lifesystems) plumbing is complete, lights are fitted.

All thats left to do is partition the sump tonight ready for miracle mud and 2nd coat of varnish inside the cabinet. Since its MDF type wood im making sure I use yacht varnish on the exposed wood to ensure no moisture starts ruining the inside. Then going to seal any exposed wood with silicon just to make double sure.

Hoping to do a wet run with fresh water tomorrow night, check all the connections and the tank for any bowing (installed own glass brace).

LFS has some Live rock curing for me.

Starting water production tonight as well and planning to layout of the tank.

So far found that the aquamedic light fittings are of very poor quality and the plastics break very easily - especially for a £300 fitting ($600). The sump light is the same (aquamedic) and I have had to make a custom bracket to support it since the supplied one didnt hold it and snapped with very little force.

Some pics - partitioning the sump didnt go so well tonight so projects on hold while I wait for new sheet plastic to arrive...testing plumbing tomorrow however.

OF.JPG

TL.JPG

LG.JPG

Ok small disaster...

After running the tank for 24hrs the glass brace came away from the rear of the tank - basically its under more pressure than the silicon will hold.

Bit stuck for ideas now as not confident that a new brace will do any better.

Two options are therefore bin the tank and get a custom build or try and get a company to make up a perspex brace that fits over the outer lips and hope that works!

Any sugestions welcome

Where did u get the plastic from for the sump?

Got it from ebay company (I am in UK) should arrive tomorrow hopefully - still cant really do much without a tank!

Archived