Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Cleaner Shrimp Behavior

hannahs

I didn't think that cleaner shrimp were nocturnal but mine obviously is. He sits in one spot all day, but then at nightime he is all over the tank. Are all cleaner shrimp nocturnal or is mine just confused?

Mine varies his behaviour from day to day. Some nights he is out as soon as lights go out other days he prefers to be out. Takes odd bouts of staying in same spot for hrs either just before or after he has molted.

I wouldnt worry too much !!

Also helps if you have fish in there, mine got much more confident once he had a clown to annoy.

same as halo.

mine seems to never rest lol.

hes has a greatt personality and is always swimming throughout the tank. and times he just sits in one spot and sways back and forth to rest for a few moments, than back to playing.

hes awesomeee

• 2 months later...
I didn't think that cleaner shrimp were nocturnal but mine obviously is. He sits in one spot all day, but then at nightime he is all over the tank. Are all cleaner shrimp nocturnal or is mine just confused?

Is it normal behavior for a Cleaner Shrimp to stalk fish?

My Cleaner shrimp has been stalking my two clownfish since they came into my tank. He will climb the tallest rock and jump at them while they are swimming below. Also if I turn all lights off in my tank he is all over them. The clowns try to get their distance... Is this normal? Can a cleaner shrimp attack and kill my clowns? He has been very funny to watch especially at feeding time as he begs but he is getting annoying with my clowns.

Can somebody please advise.

Thanks!

your cleaner shrimp is "stalking" because he wants to clean them.

That is what they do. Quite often a cleaner shrimp will just set up a cleaning station and the fish will come to him. My cleaner was the same way when I first got my clowns but they get along fine now.

• 3 weeks later...

Yeah, my 2 cleaners tend to try to 'ambush clean' my fish and scare the jeebus outta them.

It's not harmful to the fish. Just more along the lines of annoying since the fish don't want to be cleaned.

Mine really makes me mad when i am trying to feed my corals...ALWAYS steals the food. I dont know how it eats sooo much

MY SHRIMP ARE ACTIVE DURING DAY...........BUT AT NIGHT THEY DO COME OUT MORE AND SEEM TO GET AROUND MORE........PROBABLY THEIR DEFENSE MECH

Archived