Cultivated Reef

MicroJet 320 PH question?

SeaMountain

SeaMountain

When I filled my 10g I used Distilled Water from Wally World because of what I read in a post here. I topped off with Distilled too until I ran out then I switched to RO water from Wally World.

The last few days I have been getting 100's of very tiny bubbles in the evening in the tank. Mornings are good. No bubbles. When I come home over lunch, no bubbles. But in the evening the bubbles start. They are everywhere. Caught in the hair algae and small macro-algae which is just starting up. They get up in the nooks and crannies of the rocks too. Everywhere.

So I sat there and watched the tank. And it seems every so often the PH's will belch a fine mist of air bubbles. Is this due to the RO water. I can't see how it would be. But that is the only change I've made.

The tank is at 78 degrees. Ammonia 0 and Nitrites 0 for the past three days. Today I tested for Nitrates and they were at 20. So I did a 1gal water change, first one in almost two weeks since the tank has been started. SG has been even at 1.023 during the whole time.

These little fine mist bubbles are floating all over the tank and it looks like dust particles floating everywhere! Then they converge and get caught on stuff.

Is this a PH thing? The PH's are only maybe a month old running 24/7. There are two of them. One in each back corner up high and pointing forward. Has anyone had bad a experiences with the Microjet 320's?

SmartaZaWhiP

hey Seamoutain, perhaps it's phosphate in your distilled water. I have read of some distilled water having phosphates in it.

Just a thought.

freakaccident

I wouldnt trust anything but LFS RO that you have tested for phosphates or your own RO units water. Wally world probably doesnt maintain there RO machine very well and it is probably barely good enough for drinking water. As for the bubbles. My powerheads all blow bubbles when I first start them up after being out of the water. I just flip them around under water a couple times to get all the air out. Maybe your problem but doubtful.

SeaMountain

This RO machine in Wally World is a Culligan - which very well could mean diddly! ;)

This morning the bubbles were gone, but I do my *topping off* in the morning when I get up. ( I also add water to my tank then too! ;))

Maybe the 'new' RO water in the morning is the catalyst causing the bubble problem in the evenings?

I'll price a phospate test kit from my LFS and maybe test it. Or I will go back to Distilled Water and see if it quits. Thanks for the input and guidance! B)

Archived