ReefCleaners.org

Frog fish for 30 gal!!!!!

nanoman10

I am cycling my tank right now but i reallywant mylive stockto be as kool as my reef. The fish i want to get a probibly 2 perc. clowns, some kind of gopy, and a FROG fish. i am really intersted in the frog fish.i have looked them up and what iv herd is that there kinda hard to take care becouse there really hard to get to eat. but if anybody has one i really wana see a pic and what they do to take care of theres.please tell me and send mea pic!!! just postit in this thread.:happy:

deacon hemp

Hey nanoman now i'm now expert on frogfish but i would say stick with 1 in a 30 with no other fish it would easily eat perc's and small gobies.If you want a really cool nano inhabitant try to find a golden dwarf moray eel!,although they cost a grip.

p.s. i saw a tank in the members section a week ago or so that has a frogfish,you might want to try a search there.

You have to keep an angler fish by itself in most cases. It is a preditor and I would think would eat the formentioned fish. They lack a swim bladder, so you won't get much swim'n around from these guys. They will sit waiting for prey and usually camoflage themselves so not only will it not swim around, it will be hard to even see in the tank. If you do get it for the 30, remember it is hard to feed and don't put any small slow fish in with it or you will not have a problem feeding it, just a problem figureing out where your fish went.

They are really cool fish but as mentioned above WILL eat anything that will fit into their mouth. They also have extremely good camo, so good in fact that I have a hard time finding them in fish store tanks some times. It is only really a cool fish to have when you feed it live food so you can see it use its lure. Other than that you don't even know it lives in the tank.

• 4 months later...

I have a frog fish and it is very interesting to watch....I find mine moves around the tank a lot and actually does swim by moving its feet like fins and bloating itself with water. I disagree strongly with the "they are hard to feed" comment. Mine may just be unusual (who knows, they're all unusual) but i drop live ghost shrimp in front of its face and it grabs them up right away....i havent been able to get it to eat non-living food yet...it seems to ambush the shrimp and doesn't lure them in w/ its esca....but it still uses its esca (lure) on a regular basis. I currently have it housed with 2 domino damels 1 about a third of the size of the frog fish and the other about half the size and it hasnt eaten them...i think there perfectly fine with other fish that are larger than them...since the frog fish isnt actually agressive, rather it just has "agressive" eating habits.

Its sometimes fun when u can't see them and have to search for them....and theyre sometimes right out in front of ur nose and still hard to see. there "gill' opening are on there rear fin too!

theryre really facinating creatures

I had an angler (not sure of the type, changed colors alot) several years ago when I first started keeping SW tanks. Depending on the type, some of them grow rapidly, mine grew from about two inches to 5 inches in about 4 months. I had him for three years. Pretty cool fish but make sure you get one that will not overgrow your tank....also they will eat fish larger than their body length. The will sit there with the remainder sticking out of their mouth for days if necessary.....

gargoyleexotics

We have a frogfish and as already mentioned they WILL eat any fish or shrimp that can fit in their mouth. They will eat fish longer than they are as well. They would eventually eat the clowns and goby.

When we got ours we were told that our yellow watchman goby would be fine since the frogfish was so small and about half the length of the goby. The goby didn't last a week before the frogfish got him.

MrConclusion

No, frog fish are OK, it's stone fish (scorpion fish) that have the poisonous dorsal spines. And they are a LOT worse than lionfish.

ok... lets see what light I can shed on the frog fish problem. True they will eat most fish, untrue they will eat all fish. If you keep fish 1 1/2 their size, you'll be fine. I believe that was the rule. It might have been 2x though, thats for width. As for long narrow fishes like gobies, forget it unless you can find a goby that is at least 2-3x the length of the frog. As for your thirty, I suggest you get big ass percs and a bigger goby like a sleeper or an xl pretty shrimp goby. The frog fishes that might work for you are painted frogs, tuberculated (rare....), and wartskins. Also you cant have any shrimps man... I hope that helps. It'll be best if you kept your frog in a sump or something or do what toecutter did and plumb a frog tank to your main system. Otherwise, you can take my advice at your own risk. Also ask on rc, in the predatory/ fish only section. Nano-reef.com and Reef-central.com doesnt get along too well but if you can find needed info, why the heck not?

Frog fish our really cool, right now my LFS has a pair of mated ones and the Female is knocked up and about to explode. There expensive though he wants 230 for the pair. If you want the number just ask and I will email it to you. He (LFS) has bred many of these fish and knows a ton about them.

LoL good luck getting a pair. That is so damn rare, I'd pay 250 for it if not more. A male will be like 10x smaller than the female and permanently attached to her. They will also share the same blood flow and literally become one. Sweet aint it? Totally worth it. Buy it now!

Archived