Innovative Marine Aquariums

What kinda of snail is this?

ULTILION

When I first saw this thing it was about the size of a copepod so I didnt even pay attention to it, one month later it has grown to about the size of a cheerio. It is for certain some type of snail, however it doesnt have a shell that it can go into to hide. It only has a top cover, like a hat. It seems to leave the coral alone and eats stuff off the LR and glass. I hope someone with more knowledge then I can tell me what it is.

a stomatella maybe?

Wow I think you nailed it! From the info that I got from the web (thanks to your tip). This is the info that I found.

This snail is typically not purchased yet a very common and very prolific hitch hiker. The Stomatella is fast moving compared to other snails and has only a very small shell in comparison to others. Almost any reefer that has purchased an amount of liverock and gazed at their tank at night has noted an abundance of Stomatella Snails that they have never seen before, as this is a nocturnal herbivore. Due to their rapid reproduction, some people consider there a nuisance and they can be but fear not, there are many other reefers that would love to have a few if your willing to catch them and take them to local club meetings. Thanks again.

Archived