Top Shelf Aquatics

Few questions on bigger tank.....

azboostin

I am wanting to start up a reef tank, I am wanting a taller tank vs a longer tank... is there any pros/cons of going with a taller tank? I am wanting a tank about

48-60" long 30" high and maybe 18" deep.....

IS this around 120-150 gallon??? I plan on using

100 lbs sand,

50lbs lace rock

100 lbs tonga branch

ect ect

noobwithatank

most people good for depth and height at around the same point, taller is harder tolight as stated above and is hardered to aquascape.

I am wanting to start up a reef tank, I am wanting a taller tank vs a longer tank... is there any pros/cons of going with a taller tank? I am wanting a tank about

48-60" long 30" high and maybe 18" deep.....

IS this around 120-150 gallon??? I plan on using

100 lbs sand,

50lbs lace rock

100 lbs tonga branch

ect ect

At 30", its going to be a real pain to do any maintenance on the bottom of the tank. You're going to need a stepladder & you'll get your entire arm wet just trying to reach it.

On top of that, like everyone else has said, it is more difficult to light.

Generally speaking, taller tanks are somewhat of a waste because nothing usually gets put at the top 6" or so of the tank, making it somewhat useless. Naturally, this is all just an opinion, so take it as one.

I prefer longer tanks because they are easier to light, are easier to aquascape, and most of the fish I like fish swim more horizontally than vertically. Bottom line get what you like.

Archived