ReefCleaners.org

My plan so far!

BoBzz

Ok I have stayed up real late the past two nights gathering all info I could on all species and equipment I plan on getting so as not to sound like a total noob! :P

Here goes: 7G Mini Bow

Ebo Jager 50watt

Zoo Med Powersweep 212

AC 200(empty)

12lbs of Aragalive Fiji Pink Sand(carib sea)

Instant Ocean salt mix

CSL SmartLite Retrofit 32W

I think thats it if im wrong feel free to correct me! I plan on keeping only shrooms, xenia, and leathers. I dont really care much for the look of polyps so unless theres a reason to include them? They will be absent from the set up.

I dont know exactly how much rock I wanna stuff in here but I hope no more than 10lbs more room for coral growth right?.

Up until I did a search in this forum(very helpful button that is) I wanted to include a few staghorn hermits and urchins but after hearing all the horror stories of bulldozer urchins and mysterious deaths of the hermits I scratched them from the set up. The tanks main active inhabitants will be a pair of small gobies, Any suggestions on species? The cleaner crew is still open for ideas? I do like the look of banded coral shrimp though or are they too big? All constructive : comments or remarks welcome! :)

Looks good so far, but you might want to watch out for that Powersweep. They get stuck all the time and require you to cleam them often.

Get in touch with fellow reefers in your area so you can seed your sand with some of theirs. Once you get the rock in, I would start looking for some snails, get a good mix in there astreas, margaritas, nass. would be great. I have avoided hermits in my new tank, and would continue to do so from now on. No matter how "reef safe" people say some of them are, they still go after your snails.

As far as the CB shrimp goes, you should have no problems with it in the tank. Whatever you do, don't put in another shrimp like a peppermint, or else it would be lunch for the CB.

I hope this helps. It's good to see that you are doing research before starting up a tank, that would've saved me a whole lot of money. I only wish that a site like NR.com was around a few years ago when I started.

you can order mini brittle stars from IPSF.com and I think Inland Aquatics, but again your best bet is to get involved with a Club in your area to get some of this stuff. Most people are willing to give away a cup of their sand (which may include the stars that you want.) and you will get more diversity if you can get sand from different people.

As far as the snails go, get about 2-4 of each and you'll be fine.

Be careful with the powersweep. I've heard quite a few stories on the boards here and other places about that particular kind of powerhead really heating the tank up.

Though, I've been tempted to try out a powersweep just to see what it does in my tank.

I've also heard that certain kinds of gobies aren't novice fish. Do your research before buying your gobies.

John

Thank you again guys! :)

XWhite: I am considering either a pair of Yellow watchman gobies, Gumdrop/croucher gobies or curious wormfish(if i can manage to find them) are these good species or should I keep looking? I have actually heard quite a few gripes about the powersweep maybe I should get a back up just in case? A Maxi-jet 600?

The Critters'n Fish:

2xGobies

2xMargarita snails

2xNass. snails

2xAstrea snails

3xZebra hermits

1xCoral Banded Shrimp

H.O.B. Fuge: Few mini stars

Anthing I should drop? Is the bioload too high? ???

If you like the yellow watchman look into a watchman goby and pistol shrimp combination and see if that's something that interests you. If you went with that though you may have to pass on the CBS. I've never owned one so I can't say for sure. Also I've heard many bad things about zebra hermits. They seem to be the most likely to kill off your snails. Blue-leggeds or scarlets would probably be a safer bet.

I agree, the pwer sweep is a great idea, but from everything I've heard, just isn't worth it. I don't think your bioload is too high at all. In fact props for your fish choice! I can't tell you how many threads I have read with people asking how many tangs can go in a 10 gal. It looks to me that you have done alot of research and reading and have a great set up in mind. I also have an AC 200 (empty) I put a picollo skimmer in there ($35) glad I did, even if you are not a skimmer fan it's good to have, especially for the price. Hard to find, I did a post on where to get em. Do a search. Also if you are anythin glike me, you'll watch your live rock for hours, serpentbrittle stars are a common hitchhiker. They do get alot bigger than most people think though. When you buy your live rock, spend an hour looking for great pieces! Why not? Your only getting 10 lbs, it might as well be good stuff! Watch for bubble algea, before I knew better I thought HEY! there's cool green round things...I'll take it. But seriously, check out the skimmer, makes life easier. Avoid the power sweep, hopefully they'll perfect the design at some point

MOTHERFRIGGIN SUPER SHIBBY! Why is it that I always pick the most destructive of all my options :( Well I guess I'll pass on the zebras. What about these so called halloween hermits(orange and black legs) would they be a better option?

Yes I did look into the goby/pistol shrimp symbiosis and was totally psyched about it, but I heard that they dont always hook up and knowing my luck I would get one of those more stubborn specimens. So I thought I would have better luck just getting him/her a mate instead.

Thanks for the help :)

Dude, relax.It's easy for me to say because I've left my paranoid phase. Zebra hermits, if you don't get em, sowhat? Yes they are known as snail killers. Drop a bunch of empty shells in there! I myself really like my snails, it's funny alot of people complain about marg's being lazy? Mine are definitely pre-union. They haul ass all over the place. Yes zebra,halloween legs look cool. I like red's they are cheap, do a great job, why not? I've heard horror stories about blue's, still most people have them. I say get your Z's put in some shells, it'll work or it won't. If you see your herm's attacking your snails. I'm sure your LFS will tkae them off your hands.

Wow thanks for the info zizmans and the compliment :) I will definatly look into the skimmer I wanted to have one laying around just incase but they were so figgin expensive and no one really seemed to think theres a need so I abandoned the idea long ago.

I will for sure take my sweet time lookin for rock I waste whole afternoons just staring at the LFS setups so it wont be a prob for me ;) Again thank you :)

Ok I have thought about it and im gonna go for it on the pistol shrimp. My latest question is which of the different pistol species is best I have seen the plane ol pistol, tiger, candy stripe, and bullseye . Any thoughts, ideas, comments?

Ziz: if all goes well Ill have them up soon!

;)

pitbullpooch

test kit and thermometer.thats all i see missing besides other odd and ends like container for mixing salt in,net,algae magnet would help alot.i started with pretty much what you got listed then every time i turned around i had to go to the lfs tp get something or that was my excuse to my wife to go look at the fish.good luck

X) X) X) I knew I would forget something. Thanks for reminding me! :) I do already have nets and plenty of fish only/no chemical buckets so that wont be a prob. Whats a good brand/type of thermometer?

One more questions about livestock: I have settled on the tiger pistol shrimp so Would it be best to add the pistol shrimp and goby at the same time?

Thanks for all the extensive help :)

I'd say stay away from the stick on the glass kind. I like the glasssuction cup variety. Not sure about the same time thing, I'd go one at a time week or 2 apart. Hmmm..don't know.

Yah now that I really think about it, its prolly best I add the shrimp first so he can dig out a few pits so the gobies will have somewhere to chill when they are added. How much do those digital ones by eheim( I think thats who makes them) that sits next to or hangs on the tank?

Archived