Coral Vue Hydros

High Flow 2.5 (Acro Included)

brent-konieczny

brent-konieczny

I just tore down the old 1 gal jar and put it all into a 2.5. I have a total of about 4-5lbs of high quality lr in there. The tank's starting date was 1/3/07. The pics are 3.2MP, so those of you who love macros, view the images and enlarge them.

Equipment

-canister filter with spraybar(carbon and lr in chamber) -79 gph

-rio pump (connected to canister) -70gph

-whisper heater 50watt

-28watt pc 50/50

-8 watt T5 HO

-fan cooled hood

Corals

-3 assorted acros (blue tip, pink, green)

-small red blasto merletti (fragged 1/4/07)

-neon green zoos

-leather (1/4/07)

-gsp (1/4/07)

-monti

-birdsnest

Inverts

-Blueleg

-Turbo

-Peppermint Shrimp (ate all my aiptasia first day in there)

Feeding

- 1 drop of phytoplex and coral accel per day

- 2.5 ml of part 1&2 B-Ionic per day

Blastos

331gdc6.jpg

2mz0b4w.jpg

Green Zoos

4716zqs.jpg

Acros

44qkz1l.jpg

2m2v0u9.jpg

2rrw6qu.jpg

FTS2hqryfa.jpg

I was just gonna say SWEET! I have a heck of a time on a large scale---I can't imagine keeping up with something that size! The pics are great---I would never guess it was 2.5 gal. Very nice!

Feel like fraggin' that first acro??? :) :) :)

brent-konieczny

The time will come to frag. I'm waiting to see positive growth from the acros to let me know they are happy. Then, I'm putting a section of eggcrate in to hold some frags. I gave the larger blasto rock back to my friend for his new tank so I have more room now.

I dont recall which online store I bought the 28watt at but it was a retro kit for like $35. The T5 came out of an old 5gal tank I had laying around. It has a power glo bulb and really accentuates colors of the corals.

brent-konieczny

Heres some pics 1/7/07. Enjoy!

FTS with canister and hood I made in 2 Hours (not entirely finished)

4853i8y.jpg

Inside the hood I made notches in the wood to fit the bulbs in a smaller space without the hood overhanging the sides of the tank too much. The tank has a thick acrylic evaporation proof top (stable salinity=happy sps). Also, the sticker you see behind the red wires is a fan to cool the bulbs (not even worrried about summertime heat).

2hwffk0.jpg

This acro is showing better polyp extension.

2unyq80.jpg

FTS with 8 watt T5 only.

2d0ca42.jpg

Awesome photos Brent. I used one for my background on my desk top =)

Is that the pre-set heater in there? How is that working out for you?

brent-konieczny

Glad you liked the photos.

Yeah, it's a preset 50watt. It keeps the tank @ 76-78 and no more. Pretty sweet because you never have to adjust it.

echo-bravo 4-19
It looks good, but there is no such thing as an 8 watt T5 HO.

he is correct there is no such thing it can be a t5 but the smallest t5 ho they make is 24 inches long

he is correct there is no such thing it can be a t5 but the smallest t5 ho they make is 24 inches long

it definately is 8watt and definately t5 dont know about the ho it maybe standard output

Good luck with that. I learned that it is nearly impossible for the SPS to thrive in a 2.5, not because of lighting (I had a 150W MH HQI over mine)... but because of water stability (temp, Ca, Nitrates, Phosphates, etc..). Not to discourage you, however the sooner you can upgrade, the better. Once one dies, the tank goes with it.

brent-konieczny

Well, first my salinity is 99% stable as my acrylic top only has small holes for the input/output (I have trouble getting it on and off it is so tight). Second, when I do water changes I match the temp and salinity to the tank exactly. Third, I feed very sparingly and use a large amount of carbon and lr in the canister. I think I can make it work.

brent-konieczny

I got crushed lr and the bag of carbon that comes with it. The flow is not nearly enough without my other 70 gph pump hooked up to it.

just to warn you i had the same heater and it stopped working for no reason, i would keep an eye on temperatures, though with the lighting i don't think it would be a problem. looks great though.

Archived