Top Shelf Aquatics

POLYP OR PEST ANENOME?

nismo driver

nismo driver

OK I HAVE LOOKED FOR THE LAST COUPLE HOURS BUT CANT FIND A PICTURE TO ID THESE, THEY ALL APEAR TO BE THE SAME BUT SLIGHTLY DIFFERNT COLOR, THERE NOT REALLY GROUPED UP LIKE ZOAS BUT DEFINATELY DONT LOOK LIKE APTASIA THAT IM FAMILIAR WITH SO SOME ASSISTANCE WOULD BE APPRECIATED

post-12118-1167882744_thumb.jpg

It is not the fish eating anemone. I have several in my tank and they are a nocturnal anemone. I will dig up the thread I have on them at RC and post it for you. They are cool "little" anemone's, the biggest one I have ever seen was in a friends 280 and it was about the size of a baseball and it was nearly 3 years old.

formerly icyuodd/icyoud2
It is not the fish eating anemone. I have several in my tank and they are a nocturnal anemone. I will dig up the thread I have on them at RC and post it for you. They are cool "little" anemone's, the biggest one I have ever seen was in a friends 280 and it was about the size of a baseball and it was nearly 3 years old.

dont kid yourself

"This Pseudocorynactis from Fiji is beautiful but not safe with fishes and adjacent invertebrates. It is a voracious eater that has powerful nematocysts in the ball-like tentacle tips."

"The Caribbean species, Pseudocorynactis caribbaeorum mainly opens its tentacles at night, and closes rapidly when it senses light. The Indo-Pacific species remains open both day and night, and is not sensitive to light. The presence of food smells (dissolved amino acids) in the water stimulates either species to open up and extend the tentacles, and the caribbean species can be trained to open in the light by feeding it during daylight hours. The mechanism for its apparent memory is not known. "

dont kid yourself

"This Pseudocorynactis from Fiji is beautiful but not safe with fishes and adjacent invertebrates. It is a voracious eater that has powerful nematocysts in the ball-like tentacle tips."

"The Caribbean species, Pseudocorynactis caribbaeorum mainly opens its tentacles at night, and closes rapidly when it senses light. The Indo-Pacific species remains open both day and night, and is not sensitive to light. The presence of food smells (dissolved amino acids) in the water stimulates either species to open up and extend the tentacles, and the caribbean species can be trained to open in the light by feeding it during daylight hours. The mechanism for its apparent memory is not known. "

I must have the kind that don't believe in eating fish or anything other than the weekly squirt of mysis I give them. But I will leave well enough alone, and let you tell him what he "might" have. No need to get into an argument over a fish tank critter :}

formerly icyuodd/icyoud2

wasn't looking to start a fight, but its not a question of what they might be. they are Pseudocorynactis. if by some chance i'm wrong, the other option is corynactis (orange ball anemone-most being temperate) both eat fish.

3rd option, cup coral but i see no skeleton to lead me to believe thats what they are.

i'd love a link to the rc thread.

nismo driver

hmm so any verdict on if i should try to remove these critters the more i shift my rock around the more i find the largest is about the size of a dime..

im not so concerned about the fish eating possibility but would these be a concern around zoo's or mushies?

Your tank, your choice. No matter what one person says on these sites, someone else will tell you something different. It is just the way things are on sites like this. It really just boils down to what you want to have in your tank or what you don't want in your tank. A person who teaches Biology at a University can tell you one thing and someone who plays video games all day can tell you a different thing. One could very well be correct and the other wrong, it does not mean the more educated is always the right one. Go with what you feel is best for your tank, and wht you think looks best in your tank. If you have any worries about a specific coral, then remove it before it becomes a PITA down the road. You won't hurt anyone's feelings for doing it but your own. Happy reefing and good luck.

formerly icyuodd/icyoud2

i've had them in my aquarium for 2 years now. they do spread, but there not a serious threat until they get much bigger.

The Propagator

Icy nailed it.

Either listen to experienced advice and identifications your here to get, or look it up your self.

Google is a wonderfull tool.

Look up "orange ball anemone". You will see several red to orange variations but they are all usualy Pseudocorynactis, and they are all oportunistic feaders that do not discriminate what they eat.

In my exprerience they take quite a while to grow large enough to eat a small fish but they do, and they can.

• 5 months later...
In my exprerience they take quite a while to grow large enough to eat a small fish but they do, and they can.
What would you say is large enough to eat a high fin goby? Three of these are right in his fav living space in my small 8gl. I'm totally over trying to chase things out and these are kinda cool. I certainly hope they have to reach proportions larger than my nano and feeding sched will accommodate before they can eat my goby.
  • 11 months later...
  • 5 months later...
Do peppermint shrimp eat them like they eat Aiptasia?

bump

also, are there minneature versions of this? I had one, now I have 4-5 and this thing is showing no signs of stopping the reproduction of little anemones. The mother anemone grew rapidly to just under a cm and seems to have stopped growing even with regular feedings of mysis.

btw, these things can eat pieces at least as big as they are!!

bump

also, are there minneature versions of this? I had one, now I have 4-5 and this thing is showing no signs of stopping the reproduction of little anemones. The mother anemone grew rapidly to just under a cm and seems to have stopped growing even with regular feedings of mysis.

btw, these things can eat pieces at least as big as they are!!

yes, probably a tropical Corynactis species. Won't grow nearly as large or pose much threat to livestock, but if you feed them a lot, they'll start splitting all over the place.

Archived