Cultivated Reef

filtering/water changing/refugiums

Aesodh

Is there anyway to additionally filter a tank naturally that will cut down on the need to make water changes?

Would a refugium filled with some sort of plant help in purifying the water and would it make a difference? I know the plants would absorb some nutrients and clean the water to some degree... that's what plants do, and I might be able to feed back some of the growing plants to my fish (but that might overload the nutrients in the tank I think, if it's going in a cycle, so I would need to discard some of the overgrowth?) Has anyone tried this? I believe I have seen something like this somewhere but do not remember where.

Thanks.

A fuge not only allows the growth of Macro, but increases the amount of water in your small system. The larger the body of water, the more stable it tend to be. Also, the growth of pods and other beneficals in the fuge can allow you to reduce the amout of nutrient-laiden food you dump in. Thereby, minimizing the amout of pollutants in the water, but not starving your critters.

Archived