Pod Your Reef

125 gallon tank for a case of beer?

Juanhunglo69

Juanhunglo69

So I am at my friends house the other night and we are discussing setting up a small tank at his house. I told him that my wife is wanting a couple of tangs but we didn't have a big enough tank. Apparenly I struck a nerve because he went crazy. He called a buddy that supposedly had a 125 and a 55 in his garage and in the way of their "projects". When he got him on the phone he asked if he was still looking to get rid of them. The guy says yes so I make the joke and tell him that I would give him a case of beer for the 125. My friend tells him and I get back a "let me ask the wife" His final reply is 2 cases of beer for both tanks. Now I gotta buy one more case of Bittburger and he will be happy. Anyways I get over there and the 55 gallon is more like a 30 gallon but the 125 is huge! It's not real deep probably 24-30 inches deep 24-30 inches wide and as long as a couch. It is an American made tank but the 30 is just like my German made one. Does this sound like 125? I had an 85 in the States last year but sold it and this is definately bigger than that one.

I was thinking Fish with rock and maybe just maybe some softies. I can use the 30 as a sump heck I can do two seperate 30's as two different sumps but don't want to drill the tank. I also want to do this on the cheap or let me rephrase that lower budget. Hence the reason that I say Maybe to the softies. Is there a way to do an overflow and use the sump without drilling or do I need to drill? And if I need to drill can somebody give me an idea of a good setup. I have an idea and it consists of four holes in the back wall two for water going out two for water coming back in. The two outbound ones will have a little overflow box built around them. I can make a hood for this no problem and light it with 6 foot bulbs or well I am just exploring my options for now.

I haven't brought the tanks home yet as my wife will kill me. There are two here already and one more in the mail. I even have one setup at work. I have to leave for a month with work but when I get back I will bring it home. I did however get it out of the garage where it was stored at. The guy had suspension parts and model airplane stuff in the tanks.

He never used the 125 to hold water it housed his 2 six foot snakes. The 30 was a fresh water setup. He said oscars.

i would just make sure to clean it really really good.....

you know how much rock its going to take to fill that darn thing up lol

good luck and i cant wait to see picts....

Juanhunglo69

It is going to be a while. I am staying in the poor house heating this house that I live in right now. I moved in in September and in December our electric bill was 750 Euros. Yes fellas that is 1000 dollars. The heat units here are nothing like in the states. Maybe a few of our Blokes that get on here can back me up. I have electric storage heating and don't ask me to explain how it works other than it heats when you don't want it to and then doesn't heat when you want it to. I may try to move when my lease runs out but that doesn't mean that I can't start setting everything up equipment wise. I was looking at putting a boat load of dried rock in there the adding 20 kilos or so of live and waiting. Of course this is after I decide on where I will be living. I guess that I can start gathering the rock now though.

It sounds like a standard 120, 48x24x24 inches, which is one of the best sized tanks you could ask for. The 24" width makes for some awesome aquascaping opportunities. Congrats!

Ask for dimensions or take the dimensions yourself. Multiply L x W x H and divide by 231. If you say its a long as a couch, Im going to suspect either 125G or 180G. Good find man!

Tang

Juanhunglo69
Ask for dimensions or take the dimensions yourself. Multiply L x W x H and divide by 231. If you say its a long as a couch, Im going to suspect either 125G or 180G. Good find man!

Tang

Am I safe to assume that your talking in inches?

If that tank was used for snakes, I'd check the silicone seals carefully. They can potentially weaken if they were exposed to air and high temps for a long time.

As an aside, 30 gallons is WAY to small for even one oscar, never mind oscars :o

Am I safe to assume that your talking in inches?

Yes, he is, but you don't need to worry in any case, just plug your measurements, using whichever units you like, into google, and you'll get a fast, easy answer.

for example: "100*100*50 cubic centimeters in gallons"

Give it a try. Google kicks ass. :)

Yes, he is, but you don't need to worry in any case, just plug your measurements, using whichever units you like, into google, and you'll get a fast, easy answer.

I would think punching the numbers into a calcultor is a simple thing. You yung-uns and yur internet. Google this, Google that. Whatcha gunna do if Google goes belly up? BAM, no way to calculate the size of a fishtank, thats what! :P

Oops....Sorry, got carried away. Yes I meant inches :happy:

Tang

with him saying as long as a couch im guessing its more like 6 feet long and it being 24" front to back and top to bottom im guessing its a 180, very big tank and its perfect for aquascaping like Vic said

Juanhunglo69
with him saying as long as a couch im guessing its more like 6 feet long and it being 24" front to back and top to bottom im guessing its a 180, very big tank and its perfect for aquascaping like Vic said

I will get actual measurements tomorrow when I am sneaking it in my house. The wife has a meeting tomorrow and I leave with work to Portugal in a few days for a couple of weeks so she will have time to get over it. She explicitly said "No more tanks" I just can't turn this down.

Juanhunglo69
I got all my live rock for a 12 pack of heinie!

I bet that you wish that you did! Or maybe you did. Look at what I got.

pitbullpooch
Whatcha gunna do if Google goes belly up?

Tang

the thought of that is scary. almost as scary as saying what if the cable goes out lol

the thought of that is scary. almost as scary as saying what if the cable goes out lol

Or what if there is no such thing as good beer anymore :scarry:

Tang

pitbullpooch
Or what if there is no such thing as good beer anymore :scarry:

Tang

you for sure got me beat..where was my head when i should have been thinking of things that really mattered

edit: the sad thing is i was having a nice cold beer when i wrote that...sometimes we just dont appreciate what really matters in this life like good beer..thanks for the reminder pal

you for sure got me beat..where was my head when i should have been thinking of things that really mattered

edit: the sad thing is i was having a nice cold beer when i wrote that...sometimes we just dont appreciate what really matters in this life like good beer..thanks for the reminder pal

Just doin what I do.... :happy:

it saves you typing all the numbers in a calculator

What is it with punching a few numbers into a calculator? Its not like were asking you to use a slide rule for crying out loud!

In case you dont know what a sliderule is, google it :P

Tang

Juanhunglo69

ok I got the measurements. 18x20x72 using the calculation that Tang suggetsed it is a 112 gallon. But when I used yahoo to search for the dimensions it comes up with a 125 Long tank on this site.

http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/aquarium_sizes.php

I then looked a little more and found that manufacturers say that things are a little bigger than they actually are. Good call Tang on the __x__x__=__/231=water volume

Good site

http://home.comcast.net/~jdieck1/volcalc.html

ok I got the measurements. 18x20x72 using the calculation that Tang suggetsed it is a 112 gallon. But when I used yahoo to search for the dimensions it comes up with a 125 Long tank on this site.

http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/aquarium_sizes.php

I then looked a little more and found that manufacturers say that things are a little bigger than they actually are. Good call Tang on the __x__x__=__/231=water volume

Good site

http://home.comcast.net/~jdieck1/volcalc.html

• 2 weeks later...

Archived