ReefCleaners.org

Cleaner Shrimp

Fireworm

I bought a cleaner shrimp on Monday afternoon, I floated the bag for about 20 minutes, and then added a 1/4 cup of tank water about every 15-20 minutes. I did that until the bag was full, so i added about a cup or cup and a half to the bag. When I put him in the tank, he started checking out all the rock, and in about 30 minutes found himself a nice little home in the rock. When I got home from work the next morning I found peices of him floating around my tank. The only thing I have in the tank is a 6 line(2.5"), a false percula(1.5-2"), and a small emerald crab that is not as big as a quarter. The three tank mates have all been in together for about 6 weeks or so. What happened?????

You didn't acclimate it long enough, it probably died because of that, and then your emerald crab had a feast until some pieces were picked by the fish/hermits(if you have any) and everything else.

IMO your acclimation was fine and perhaps a little excessive if anything.

Sixline wrasses have been known to eat shrimp occasionally.

Are you sure what you found weren't remnants of a molt? Many times when I have introduced crustaceans to my tank, they have molted that night. I think it may be because the water quality in my tanks is far better than what is at the LFS. I agree with lgreen in that your acclimation procedure was fine, and if the shrimp was active 1/2 hour after putting him in the tank acclimation was not the culprit.

Are you sure what you found weren't remnants of a molt? Many times when I have introduced crustaceans to my tank, they have molted that night. I think it may be because the water quality in my tanks is far better than what is at the LFS. I agree with lgreen in that your acclimation procedure was fine, and if the shrimp was active 1/2 hour after putting him in the tank acclimation was not the culprit.

That was my first thought too. He'll probably show back up in a couple of days, unless your cleanup crew got to him while he was weak (not likely).

Archived