inTank Media Baskets

Newbie alert! Critics wanted!

heed

I am thinking of starting up a nano reef this weekend and would love to hear your comments. Here is what I was planning on getting this weekend:

10 gal AGA tank

50w Heater (Ebo Jager)

Small Penguin or Aquaclear HOB filter (empty)

ZooMed Powersweep 212 PH (125gph)

Salt (please advise on specific brands you may be particular to)

Aragonite substrate (10-20#s)

LR (10-15#s)

Hydrometer (I actually have one for homebrew but will probably grab another)

I know...you see it...the GLARING :P missing piece.

I will come out and admit it. I don't get the whole lighting thing. From what I gather, I can pick up a standard hood assembly from perfect then buy a retrofit kit from pet supply liquidator and rip out the existing lighting to replace with what they send me. Please tell em if I am wrong. What are my other lighting alternatives?

Concerning livestock, will I need to know exactly what I want now or can I take the time during cycling to research?

I know of a one thing I would absolutely love to keep and that is a star of some sort. Please advise on which are acceptable for a nano.

Thank you very much. Fantastic site.

freakaccident

I would personally scrap the idea of buying the Perfecto plastico hood. Wood is cheaper and will offer you more options in the future. You can build a canopy for about $10 out of pine and start out with 2x28w PCs for around $55. So for $65 you can have 56watts of PC power in a custom hood. Add a fancy pants Radiocrap fan for another $15 and you're set.

Attached is a super-dee-duper picture of one side of my canopy. I have a 96w quad bulb, radiojunk fan, and fancy $3 moonlight on that side. It gives you an idea of what you can do.

Check this link out for how to setup the cheapo 28w PCs. Smartest DIY I have seen in a long time

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/showthread...2&highlight=28w

If you can get it from a LFS, go with real water from the Ocean, it will always be alot better then any mix and your inhabitants in your tank with thank you for it!

Unfortunately I doubt any LFSs in Cincinnati (where I am) have seawater ;)

About the lighting issue:

I believe I am making progress forcing information into my brain. I found this on a site referenced in the link freakaccident provided. This would be more than adequate correct?

duckhuntboy

I use instant ocean, and I'm know a lot of other people that do as well. I agree with the wood hood. Make a tiny wood stand and your tank will be classy. One point for a wood hood, is because plastic hoods are shaped to just fit their lights. You can get a retrofit kit, of course, but if you have a wood hood, you'll increase your space for lighting by like 400%, and you can light the front of your tank much better.

Here's a 4 gallon tank I just built out of oak:

(just the icon off my webpage)

newtankicon.jpg

Ahh....Da Hood...

I, personally, will never have another hood over a tank...especially a reef tank...you're just in and out of the tank too much to bother with sticky meaty arms (mine are at least) into a cramped space to try and fiddle with something when you don't feel like taking off the entire hood. If you don't mind it..you can build a CANOPY out of wood and then get some classy SS wire to hang it from your ceiling with etc. Thats what I've got over my tanks now and I love it...I can work in them, play in them...and don't have to constantly be hindered by my arm hitting a hood. The only downside is the fact that you may want a bit more lighting if you go this route as you'll more than likely mount the canopy a little higher off the water than you would the lights in a hood. (Not a problem for me as I light my 10 gal. with 400w of MH lighting..lol..got it for a steal..couldn't pass it up) Also...overheating becomes much less of an issue this way.

Just my 2 cents..

freakaccident
I believe I am making progress forcing information into my brain. I found this on a site referenced in the link freakaccident provided. This would be more than adequate correct?

I have that same light on my 10g but in a custom canopy. That's a hell of a deal too. I would personally follow deimos advice and go MH. You would never have to upgrade but to each his own.

Archived