Top Shelf Aquatics

fish or coral first

Mmorse

What should I add to my tank first fish or coral. It makes sense to me to add the fish and then wait until the tank adjusts to the new bio-load then when the bio-load levels out then start to add corals to the tank when the water conditions are perfect. Or am I totally out in left field on this one????

freakaccident

I don't know if there is a right answer to this. I have always waited a couple of months before adding fish to give the tank time to completely balance. This was with FO or FOWLR tanks though. With my reef tanks I usually added corals first and fish later but for no particular reason. With coral being more expensive than fish you may have the right idea.

I did the LR/LS, let that cycle for a few weeks then added my cleanup crew when Algae struck, let that cycle, then I added a few Corals, lets that cycle if needed then I added my fish.

harbingerofthefish

I am still waiting for the right time to add a fish. After aquiring new corals and readjusting the rock work numerous times, I figured it best to wait for the fish. Don't want to stress it out more than I had to. Plus my thought as to what fish I wanted changed about a zillion times.

Archived