Top Shelf Aquatics

Noob with lighting questions

BoBzz

Hi everybody! Long time lurker first time poster. :P I have a question. I am planning my mini bow 7 right now(it will be my first marine tank so I dont have much experience tinkering with all your fancy gadgets but am eager to start!) Anyway the question is, the hood it comes with hardly allows me enough lighting for a mini reef so whats the best way to pimp it out with some PCs? And how much am I going to need ? All help will be greatly appreciated! ;)

I don't have one of these tanks. But, quite a few members here do and have posted pictures and specs. Do a search and you'll probably find your answer faster than waiting for a post here.

John

Thanks for the reply!:) Anyone know a good place to find a kit for the 7G? i searched around and it seems I need only 26-36W for what I'll be keeping. Also wheres a good place to get mushrooms and xenia? All the sites I have been to are selling them for almost 40 bucks apiece :o Is this how much I should expect to pay??? I realize full and well that marine is considerably more expensive than freshwater but it seems like a lot for such a small piece. Thank you for any continued help! ;)

Bobzz,

The best way to get cheap corals (and I don't usually like to get my corals any other way..lol) is to hook up with a local reef society if you have one. Reef Central hosts most of the major (and minor) reef societies' message boards...go look to see if there is one in your general vicinity..post on the board..and then go to a meeting. I know around here, the URS (Upstate Reef Society in NY), has meetings every few months and the frag trading is amazing. I've gotten both Xenia and mushrooms for free (because they both tend to grow like weeds in established tanks)...but most club members will only charge you a nominal fee for frags (they remember what it was like being a newbie..okay..well..some have been in the game so long that they don't..lol..but those are the ones that have the most stuff to frag anyway..lol). Anyway...that's my best advice on that. Hope it helps...

Later..

Archived