Pod Your Reef

Setting up 29 reef

FSUreef

This is my first post on this site, though I've cruised around it for a few weeks now. Before I get started, I'd like to compliment you guys on your behavior on here. I don't see the bickering that is so common on most hobby message boards. I've been in the fishkeeping hobby for about 20 years and I think I'm ready to "step up" into reefkeeping. I've kept African and S. American cichlids, planted tanks, discus, angels, etc. etc. with reasonable success.

I recently cleaned out all of my closets and found enough equipment to set up a 29 gal. tank and I've decided to go reef. As far as equipment goes, I either a)have or B) will purchase the following:

29 gal. tank, glass top, NO(normal output) 24" striplight and stand

2 powerheads: 1 Hagen 802 and 1 Marineland(?) 550

2 Whisper model 3 power filters

1 Tronic 150 w heater

1 Coralife 130 w PC light fixture, 10K and Actinic bulbs

1 Skilter 250 power filter with intergrated protien skimmer

Assorted tank maintenence equipment (Python, tubs, buckets, etc. etc.)

I plan on using a start-up kit provided by Tampa Bay Saltwater. It includes 58 lbs. of live rock (1/2 of the liverock provided at start up, and the other 1/2 and livestock provided after proper cycling), 29 lbs. live sand, asst. crabs, turbo snails, shrimp, and cucumbers. Fortunately, I live close enough to TBS to pick the rock up by hand and avoid shipping costs and idiots at the airport (I managed a lfs for several years).

My questions include:

What books should I purchase?

What test kits are a must?

Several associates at my lfs all highly reccomended the skilter as my protien skimmer. Will this be adequate?

Should I put filter media in my power filter(s)?

Do I have enough light for attractive live rock and some of the hardier corals and inverts?

Can I substitute distilled water for R/O water? Is R/O water a must?

What brand salt should I use? I plan on pre-mixing it using the larger powerhead. Should I keep pre-mixed water on-hand?

How long should I expect before the tank is fully cycled?

Obviously, there will be several answers to these questions. Please bear in mind that I'm not trying to re-invent the wheel or set up a system capable of growing Acropora. I'm simply looking for an attractive, low(er) maintenence reef. Thanks in advance

Hunter

coralreefengr

Before getting to your questions, I would like to say...skip the skilter. For that matter, skip any skimmer or mechanical filter. Get enough live rock and live sand to be your biological filter and aerate properly to avoid a skimmer.

I guess that answered a couple of your questions. Filter media is bunk. Your live rock and live sand is your filter. Filter media's only purpose is to generate a steady income for the LFS. Not that you shouldn't spend your money at the LFS...you should, just on better "investments" like legitamate equipment and livestock. This hobby is expensive enough without have to spend money unnecessarily. Also, do your research BEFORE going to the LFS so you are armed with the facts. I've been to many LFSs that have told me my system doesn't work. Well, tell that to my clowns, crabs, shrimp, corals...the list goes on. Sometimes you just have to tune them out, other times they have good advice. It's up to you to figure it all out.

130W sounds like enough light. Just be aware of the light requirements of your livestock. Lots of corals can be grown under this light.

For salt, many people use instant ocean. I've used it. Seems to work fine and dissolves pretty quickly so you can basically mix up batches as you need it.

I like this book: Natural Reef Aquariums: Simplified Approaches to Creating Living Saltwater Microcosms. It's not specifically for nano reefs, but will go into great detail about cycling, water quality, choosing inhabitants, etc. It even has a great chart for salinity conversions based on temperature.

Let me know if you need more detail or info. I don't want to make this post too long.

Coral,

I've already begun reading as much as I can about reefkeeping. My primary concern is getting ahold of literature that is not already out of date. I've always admired reef tanks, but I can remember "all the way back" to the early '90's when people were still buying parking-lot fixtures for their metal halides. With cheaper, easy to use, safer lighting, I'm ready to have a go at this.

What I have read has mentioned the use of a protien skimmer as a vital component. I know how it works, and it seems like a vital component to a healthy, small volume set-up. Correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't a smaller tank need a protien skimmer more than a larger one?

Where can I pick up a copy of the book you mentioned?

Thanks

Hunter

coralreefengr

You can get that book at Amazon.com as well as some LFSs. I realize that there are a lot of reefers out there that use skimmers and some that swear by them. A recent article by Dr. Ron Shimek has deemed skimmers worthless. See this thread: http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.p...mmer+AND+shimek

In addition, it has been the direction of nano-reefing to go skimmerless. I have a 10 gallon that is and always has been skimmerless. It's been going for over 2 years this way now will no ill effects. Additionally, I am not reducing the nutrients for my filter feeding organisms by skimming. Your logical is correct about smaller volume, but the latest data doesn't support the necessity of skimmers. If you really feel you need a skimmer, use anything but a Skilter. Skilters and SeaClones are up there with some of the notoriously worst skimmers on the market. They are underpowered at best which kinda defeats the purpose of skimming at all.

I recommend looking for literature, including the book I've already mentioned, that focuses on a natural and balanced system. The most up-to-date information you will find is on the internet, though. Reefcentral.com is a great resource in addition to this site. There is also a lot of information to be found on Garf.org. That one takes a lot of sifting through repeat information, but much of it is valuable. They talk a lot about low light reefs, too. They also endorse skimming. I'll leave that one up to you. I suggest you try to search that out on ReefCentral

Am I helping at all or just repeating stuff you already knew?

Coral,

I appreciate all your information. This site has been vital in helping me decide to set up a nano-reef.

What's your take on water? R/O? Distilled?

How about water changes? What percentage and how often?

Thanks again

Hunter

coralreefengr

We use RO water. Distilled is also fine. You can also check your LFS to see if they sell RO water. We have one that sells RO salt water for $0.25/gal. That's cheaper than buying distilled at the grocery store. The regular RO was even cheaper from them. The only thing I would caution about buying pre-mixed salt water is that many LFSs use lower salinity.

We do 10% water changes 2-4 times per month. Really no more frequently than once a week. Every other week seems to be OK, too.

Another comment about salt brands...many people have had success with other brands of salt in addition to Instant Ocean. Some people use Reef Crystals, for example. It's really a subjective thing. I wouldn't buy the cheapest available. Go with a brand that is well known and widely available.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

freakaccident

Just to shed more light on the skilter. It is a worthless piece of crap as a skimmer. Get some thin acrylic and section it off to use a refugium. Keep the back of your canopy open so light can shine into it. Chuck some sand and a handfull of caulerpa in it and it will skim a heck of a lot more than it did originally. Ooooh.....a new DIY!

"Skilter Mods that ACTUALLY work!"

I might have to mod mine like this tonight just for fun and post some pics! This would be great for my 29g. I gotta dig the junky skilter up.

Thanks for all the replies. As for now, I'm definately going to hold off on a skimmer until I see how the tank does without one.

As far as fish go, I was thinking about a tomato clown and one of the dwarf lionfish. Would these two (comparatively larger nano-inhabitants) overload the tank? Most folks seem to put several smaller fish in their set-ups, but I'd imagine the bio-mass of these two fish may be a little more. However, this tank is bigger than most...(aaahhhh!!!! Can you tell I've been thinking this through for a few days???) I realize that the lionfish will most likely make short-work of any cleaner shrimp. Would he eat crabs as well?

Thanks once again

Hunter

coralreefengr

I'm out of my element with the whole lionfish thing. It does stand to reason, however, that if he will eat shrimp, that he would find crabs just as yummy. The clownfish sounds fine, though.

freakaccident

A friend that works at a local LFS has a TINY lionfish in his 10g FOWLR. He loves it but says that it is growing fast and a bigger tank will be needed soon. I would suggest not getting a lionfish unless you have bigger tank lined up. I can't comment on the compatibility with a reef tank and its inhabitants.

Archived