Pod Your Reef

Bye bye Nanoreefs

NanoReefer53

LOOSER!! :)

sorry to hear that dude, if you would of stuck to the basics..you wouldnt overheat your tank.. :)

haha...

start a new tank, a smaller one..im sure you can start one up after you sell your equipment...

i'm sorry, i have to make a comment here (i think hanging around dave's finally rubbing off on me :rolleyes: ). i'm known to be incredibly dense when it comes to sarcasm so forgive me if that's what it was but:

if you would of stuck to the basics..you wouldnt overheat your tank..

how do you figure that? using a visitherm or anything else isn't skipping steps or anything imo. overheating is just one of the perils of the hobby (with current tech). i'm using one of those titanium heaters to try out but i also still use a couple of visi's for other tanks as well. am i skipping the basics? ???

this isn't meant to be a slam but newbies that read that may get really confused (unless they're more adept at picking up sarcasm or playful ribbing than i am, not too unlikely btw). just couldn't let it go and i'm sorry if you were just joshing on nr53.

MAN PEOPLE..PUT ON YOUR GLASSES AND GO BACK TO FIRST GRADE WHERE YOU LEARNED HOW TO READ AND UNDERSTAND...

i said..if you would of stuck to the basics..you wouldnt overheat your tank..

UHMMMM...

why was i quoted for this? i have no clue

DUDE>..this reply was towards NR53...

so lets keep you up to date on this one...

"HE HAS A 400 WATT MH 5 INCHES ABOVE WATER LEVEL"

"OVER A 20 GALLON TANK"

so yes that would raise the temp to 95

so what i was trying to say on that "JOKE"

if he would of gotten the lights that the tank & corals needed..instead of what he WANTED>..then the tank wouldnt have overheated.. LOL...

PS... NEWBIE? PLEASE.. i have been on this board before you were born.... LOL

Kci, email me if you plan to start another tank, we'll see what we can do :)

mike,

take deep breaths. cool your jets. and put on your reading glasses.

i wasn't saying you're a newbie but that others that might read your post may be or may misunderstand (like me). as i understand nr53's post, it was his heater that failed and overheated his tank, not his lights. altho i'm sure they didn't help the situation but i'm sure nr53's a good enough reefer to handle those 'normal' heat issues. his bad LUCK doesn't reflect an experience level indication in my eyes (i.e. 'basic', if i was nr53 i'd taken offense to that comment but that's just me)

as you pointed out, it was a 'joke'. as i said, sarcasm doesn't penetrate too well on me (or others on the net ime). just wanted a clarification that's all, no slam intended (repeat).

btw, i've been reefing for only a little while but i've been doing aquariums before YOU were born. (that's a little slam ) :P

Just my .02 on Visitherm heaters...

When I ran a lfs, I stocked only two heater brands, Tronic, and a crappy one. Tronic heaters cycle on temperature have an overheat sensor inside the heater, much like an external thermometer. In other words, the thermostat in the heater is temperature based instead of time based. Most heaters turn on and off in a timed cycle, regarless of aquarium temperature.

My experience with Visi Therm has not been good. They were one of the first submersible heaters on the market about 10-12 years ago and their technology hasn't changed. They're susceptible to breakage, overheating and leaking. I owned several and over time all of them shattered in the tank or sump or began to leak prematurely. I assume the breakage happened due to heater failue (extreme heat causes expansion, breakage, etc.).

On another note: Check your heaters monthly! Often, a "stuck" heater is due to moisture invading the heater tube, causing corrosion and fouling the circutry. If you see condensation bubbles in your heater, REMOVE IT AND GET ANOTHER! Tronic makes a good product, as well as Ebo-Jager.

Good luck!

Hunter

Originally posted by tinyreef

as you pointed out, it was a 'joke'.  as i said, sarcasm doesn't penetrate too well on me (or others on the net ime).  just wanted a clarification that's all, no slam intended (repeat).

btw, i've been reefing for only a little while but i've been doing aquariums before YOU were born. (that's a little slam ) :P

yes, thats why a made the joke to a good friend of mine...

without your understanding..

so dont be defensive about it...if its towards you thats when you should be...

for now, walk your path and not others....

I have seen Kci's tank personally, and have made jokes with him whenever i got some frags from him or just checked out his tank..that the light is going to burn his tank and house down...

so yes, i just had to say the same thing after it overheated his tank...so please understand that this joke was towards him, and he "WILL" understand that it was a joke... and

if not said yet.. BETWEEN ME AND HIM...

you hear that... ME AND HIM

so dont respond to something you dont understand.. if you have someting to say about his loss..then say it... because..for what i see...it was all towards me.. DAMMIT

LOL..been reefing only for a little while?

and been doing aquariums for a long time?

AND? SO? .. LOL...

any 5 year old can keep a goldfish

i hope this will end our feud...

i will start walking my own path now, and wish not to cross over yours...

GOOD BYE..

NanoReefer53

Haha, mikee. It wasn't the light that heated the tank. 4 months with the 400w radium going 10 hours a day didn't raise the temp even above 81* (thanks to a 70cfm fan and a 4" wide glass perpendicular to the bulb). I noticed that the temperature went to 95* in the morning at 7:00am so that means there was 9 hours without a 400w blasting away at the water. At the time too, the heater light was still on so that of course told me that the heater was them problem.

O well, time to start over. My uncle is converting to a FOWLR so i'm gettin his sebae anemone and will probably put a pair of clowns or somethin in it. Let me know when u guys get some in Mike.

hey Kci, i have a rose anemone that just split in my tank..

i was going to put him in the fuge..but i think 24/7 light period will just stress him out...

lemme know if you want it :)

NanoReefer53

Yea, that'd be cool. Not right now though since i'm cleaning out the tank completely and building a new stand and canopy for it. Thanks Mike, as always. :)

duckhuntboy

You kids are crazy.... First off, before I knew Mike was telling an inside joke, I thought he was being a dick as well, but all is better since we know it's an inside joke now. So things are cool now.

Nano, I'm 19 right now and a college student, most likely as broke as you are. I'd just hang onto your stuff, man. I'll bet you may want to start up again if you're going to college in a couple years. You need a hobby like nano-reefing sometimes to relax when school sucks a big one. You could at least do some polyps or something and sell your lights and whatnot. Just think about it.

Archived