Innovative Marine Aquariums

Cycle question

XtremeSport

XtremeSport

Its been a week and I see no changes in my levels. I bought Caribian Aquacultured Rock, with a lot of coraline and life. I did though take it home in water, do you think Im going to get a cycle

'No changes' meaning what Xtreme? All levels are zero? Despite being anxious to start adding livestock - be patient. Nothing bad can happen by waiting an extra week. If all readings are zero, that means one of two things:

1. Your cycle hasn't even started

2. Your cycle is complete

Given the fact that your a week deep - I am suspicious of your cycle being complete - especially if it was covered with sealife.

Some more details about what tests you have run - the readings, and what actions you have performed during the cycle will assist with further responses.

My 2 cents is to wait at least another week - maybe more stress for you, but in the long run much less stress for your system.

XtremeSport

Thanks for the response, here are the levals

AM 0

Nitrite 0

nitrate>10

PH 8.3

SG 1.023-24

I have done nothing but top off with distilled water.

10 g

201 ph

whisper 10 HOB

17# Carib Sea Pink Aragonite

15# Caribian Aquacultered Live Rock

2x36 AH Supply

50 W Tronic

It's only been a week. It's very possible that the tank has cycled already but patience is a virtue. Just because it may be cycled by no means is it stable. I would wait at least another week, if not 2, before you start adding anything.

Cameron

freakaccident

How fresh was the rock? If you live in Tampa, FL for instance and got the rock from tampa bay saltwater and the rock was in water when you got it then you might possibly have zero die off. If you got it locally and it was fully cured the same thing might happen. My 2.5g cycled almost immediately using fully established rock from one of my other tanks and Southdown sand seeded from the same tank. I did have a small but short cycle. I still waited about a week then I added a couple hermits and a turbo. Waiting another week wont kill you.

Word! Waiting another week is a good idea. By the way you describe your live rock, i'm sure it should have enough life on it to peek at for now.:)

freakaccident

Are you going to get more rock? That doesn't look like much rock. I guess it's true that that rock is very dense compared to fiji.

Archived