Innovative Marine Aquariums

Leonardo's reef

Leonardo <Nano-Reef>

Leonardo <Nano-Reef>

Woow... It has been a long time. After a few tanks, many $$ and much time I finally have the tank I always dreamed of.

It is a 31,5 x 31,5 x 21,5 tank. This makes the total system 92 gallon (+sump)

It is skimmed by an MTT1 venturi skimmer rated for 500 Gallon.

Lighting is 250 watt HQI AB 10K and 4 x T5

Current 2 x Tunze Stream 6100.

(paste link in browser for better pic!)

29nov2resized.jpg

29nov9.jpg

29nov10.jpg

Apogon24dec.jpg

The tank is 7 months old now. I had bad experiences with a BareBottom tank. I recently added a layer of sand. New photo's are on the way!

Hope you like it.

Leonardo

Leonardo <Nano-Reef>
I guess you answered my question about your success (failure?) with the bare bottom.

Mr. MegaYacht

The BB-system was just too sterile for my SPS. I could not keep the nutrient level high enough to feed my corals. I lost some colony's because of this.

With the new sandbed I try to "dirty up" the tank a bit.

Leonardo

Great looking tank, i love it... but only if it had sand in the bottom, and some more rock it would look even beter!!!! :happy:

I'd have to disagree, I love the rockwork.

Leonardo <Nano-Reef>

Thanks for all the reactions.

I wanted my tank to look like a Japanese tank. This means, much room for corals, and just a few large pieces of live rock.

This rock structure also prevent detritus build-up and give me a good flow all over the tank.

With the sandbed it does look better, I hope it is also better for my corals.

I live in the Netherlands, the cardinals are easily available here. Just ordered them at my LFS.

The tangs don't like each other so much anymore. For months they were very friendly, swim together etc. But recently they are fighting more and more. One of them has to leave!

Leonardo

Leonardo <Nano-Reef>

No pics with sand.... And the sand will be out this weekend ;) Much too messy, and I can't have a good amount of flow.

Have to figure out another way to higher the nutrients...

Leonardo

Leonardo <Nano-Reef>
we still would like to see pics w/ the sand. i love sand

nice cardinals!

The sand is already out ;) I made a RDSB in the sump. See if that helps.

Leonardo

RDSB.jpg

Apogon8jan2007.jpg

wow!

you picked some of my favorite fish! I love convict tangs and those A. leptacanthus

I am deffinatly going to copy your stocking list

:);):lol:

I tried a convict tang but he didnt fare so well (he didnt look good at the store, but I took the chance)

your tank is amazing! keep it up

love the setup. I'm in the process if having a 95g cube(ish) made (36 x 30 x 20)

What are you using for Calcium supplimentation?

Leonardo <Nano-Reef>

Woow, thanks for al the positive reactions!

Fishfreak218, This Convict Tang was very fat in the LFS, and was eating several types of food. (including spectrum thera A) so I took the chance. He's still very healty.

Try to search for a fat one (you already knew that ;) )

The cardinals always school like this. If you scare them they will hide in a smaller school, but normally they always swimming around like in the photo.

The school will be bigger in the future. (25-30)

Fluidimagery, for calciumsupp. I use Tropic Marin BioCalcium. It is a KH and Calciumbuffer (ionic balanced)

Magnesiumsupp. is done by TM Biomagnesium.

The salt I currently use is Zeovit Reefers Best premium. I change 15% weekly, so that does provide a little calcium/magnesium supp also.

Good luck with the project fluidimagery!

btw, I started with The Blue Coral Method last week.

Thanks again,

Leonardo

beautiful!

but sand would make it really sweet...

sorry it was a mess...

The convict tangs are awesome... I remember a blue planet where the convict tangs took over the blue tangs spot on the reef and stripped it bare of algea...

anyway... enough of that...

sweet tank!

Leonardo <Nano-Reef>

I saw that episode :)

Unfortenately the tangs became more agressive towards eachother, and one had to leave.

I've bought new corals and new fish. So it's time for new pics! :)(some pics are better when you copy the link in new window)

FTS24-01-2.jpg

HPIM3623.jpg

HPIM3629.jpg

HPIM3637.jpg

HPIM3644.jpg

sideview.jpg

convict.jpg

MilleporaPE.jpg

Leonardo

Archived