inTank Media Baskets

Nitromax "seeding" lr and ls

robertmun

Will a product like Nitromax "seed" my live rock and sand? Don't know if bacteria level is sufficient in my rock and sand to handle ammonia.

Robert

No reason to seed your rock or anything. If you have any sort of bioload in a marine aquarium the cycle will start naturally. Of course, if you don't have enough rock and sand, you may not be able to support a very high load. In any case, I think those cycle starter supplements are a waste of money.

John

Hi,

Thanks for the advice. I am still concerned though. I just tested my water again, and the Ammonia level is very high 1.0.

Nitrites are less than 0.25 and Nitrates are about 20

Could it be that I just got bad live rock and/or sand?

If so, do I need to replace it all, or can I "seed" it with good stuff from another tank. If so, where can I get it?

Robert

freakaccident

If you got real live rock and live sand be patient. If you got live rock and dead sand then you could benefit from some seeding of the sand. You can get a couple of pounds of rock tank crud from Premium Aquatics really cheap. The stuff I got from them has tons of coralline in it to. I can't say whether it will promote coralline growth yet but I am hopeful.

Archived