SaltCritters.com

Did it cycle

Mmorse

Its been a week and 1/2 since my tank has been set-up and from my water tests it looks like the tank has cycled. The ammonia is reading .1, nitrates and nitrites are low and the Ph is at 8.3. Did my tank cycle or is it just tricking me???

Did you do regular readings? Was there a spike in ammonia and/or nititrites? You should wait until your ammonia and nitrites are at 0 before adding anything more. At 0, you can consider your cycle done... I've still got a little to go with mine. Nitrites at 1.5 and Amonnia at .25 after both spiked up. My tank has been set up 8 days now.

SeaMountain

I dropped 22 lbs of LR into my 10g 10 days ago. Today at lunch my readings were 0 ammonia and just barely a hint trace of nitrites. My ammonia never did get above .25 and only once did my nitrites reach .30. Not much of a spike! :o

The last few days have seen the initial growth of some hair algae and a few other plant lifes I am not familiar with. But hey... It's a learning process, right? ;)

When ammonia and nitrite hit 0, run a nitrate test and see what you've got there. Chances are your cycle has completed. B)

Hi Mmorse,

Cycling definitely falls under the umbrella of:

*Results May Vary

The factors depend greatly upon the materials used to cycle the aquarium. A good rule of thumb as lostdog and SeaMountain point out is seeing test results for ammonia and nitrite that have dropped to zero from previously measurable levels.

Archived