Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

HELP!!! corals all died over the weekend...reason unknown

jmz

my hammerhead, frogspawn, and mushrooms all died mysteriously over the weekend.

the tips of the calcium stalks of the LPS's are all bleached white...

and what's weird is that the button polyps seem uneffected by whatever happened.

my yellow watchman goby and hermit crabs also seem ok.

has this happened to anyone before? any idea of what could've caused such a drastic crash?

any help would be greatly appreciated.

thanks!

freakaccident

It happened to me except my fish and shrimp died too. Many of the corals are coming back now. My candy canes literally melted away to almost nothing. Just a skeleton with a small green spot in the middle. They are coming back. My open brain died. I lost a lot of stuff. I never did find out what happened. My guess is this ex GF of mine dumped something in there and sabatoged it.

Did you do ANYTHING to your tank recently that was not usual? Stick your hand in there after spilling something on it earlier? I would suggest a full regimen of tests, several water changes over the next few days, and be patient. It sucks. I know.

SeaMountain

Wow... Rough weekend. And I thought my weekend was a rough one. Can you imagine MY surprise to see the friggin' sun was up by 9:30am on a SUNDAY morning!?!? :x

Hopefully no one spilled the Crown Royal into the tank. How was the party? ;)

You must have some tank specs on a before and after venue. Lay it out. Something caused it. You don't happen to have the genus Fedeyeen Saddam Button Polyp's, do you? B)

thanks...

i did nothing out of the ordinary.

just did a 15% water change 3 days prior. added the usual amount of alk/calcium buffer and coral vital.

also, the water seems a bit cloudy.

i have yet to perform any water tests.

i don't have any 'before' specs on the tank...

but i do know that everything has been fine for almost a year now.

i'm going to bring a water sample to my lfs later on today for testing.

Well seeing that your in LA and Im not too far from you I can say it was REALLY friggin hot this weekend (still is) with the santa ana rolling through. Do you know what the temp was around 2 or 3pm? It does sound like temp was a factor. Temp really effects LPS and SPS corals, but most softies like zoos never seem to notice.

yep...i'm in LA.

that's the best theory so far. my tank is in my office and the a/c goes off during the weekends. i'm suspecting that it might have reached 100F in there this past weekend. time to look for a new location.

sorry about your tank, only reason i don't have one in my office is for that reason.

DeskJockey - i wasn't sure myself of his location, first thought of the city then did a double-take and remembered the state.

hey jmz,

I used to have a 10gal then a 20gal in my office and I discovered the same thing with tank temp on the weekends. I set up a small fan on the light timer and ran that over the w/ends to keep the temp down. Watch out for extra evap on the w/ends too.

Sorry about the tank man =( Im sure thats exactly what it was. Yeah same reason I dont have one on my desk either. I work in Escondido and without the AC it will never make it on the weekends.

Archived