SaltCritters.com

Turbo Snail Rescue

Micro_managemenT

Micro_managemenT

Hi, I'm kinda new to reef-keeping, but have been into fw for a very long time.

I set up an AP24 about 4 months ago, and one of my first CUC members is a 1" turbo snail. lately I've been waking up to find him near the front glass, on his back on the sand. :huh: So I take a long plastic spoon and kinda flip him over towards the glass, and within a minute, he's back moving across the glass. Is this something to be concerned with? My water quality is nearly perfect (ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate are all nearly undetectable).

Thanks

• 4 weeks later...
The Velvet Sea

My general experience with turbos is that they rarely ever, almost never fall and can't get up when they are healthy. I've seen healthy turbos on their back right themselves many times. Usually when they can't right themselves, they are soon found dead even if you continue to flip them.

I'd speculate on a cause for you but I don't really have much to go on. They can die due to bad water quality but your parameters are ok you said. I've seen them die like this due to heavy metals from something rusting in the tank also.

joel sandoman

check your salinity. make sure you are doing freshwater top offs regularly. snails are very succeptable to bouncing salinity levels.

Archived