Coral Vue Hydros

crazy female ocellaris clownfish?!

stevedzoovet

Hi,

I am not sure if this fish is sick or just upset?

I have a proven breeding pair of ocellaris clowns (about 22 months old) residing in a reef set-up. The whole set-up has been stable for 18 months, and water quality is stable. No new fish or corals added in the past 6 months. The fish have produced around 4 clutches of eggs which have been successfully reared, and both fish are still eating and are bright, alert and active. In fact there are no obvious signs of diseaes. So whats the problem? About a week ago I removed the most recent batch of larvae and then 4 days ago I gave the glass a real good clean, and ever since then the female appears less interested in the male and her anemone, and more interested in going crazy infront of the glass. Could she be attacking her reflection? The male is also getting agitated and keeps emerging from the anemone and harrassing the female to get back!

Is this someting to be worried about...any ideas??

thanks

Steve

mandarin dragonet

she thinks the male ate the eggs, your supposed toleave them in there with the parents, then remove the fry if really nessecary, and feed them plankton and after 1 week or a couple of days brineshrimp napaulii.

Good luck with the crazy lady in the tank ;):happy:

she thinks the male ate the eggs, your supposed toleave them in there with the parents, then remove the fry if really nessecary, and feed them plankton and after 1 week or a couple of days brineshrimp napaulii.

Now, I am no animal psychologist but are we not attributing a level of object permanence to an animal with a brain the size of a grain of rice?

• 2 weeks later...
Maroon Clownfish

Idog, you do have a point. However, if the male was found near where her eggs were, and that species of clownfish has a history of eating their young, she could view him as the predator who ate her young and chased him off. However, it appears more from the behavior that she's just attacking the glass.

• 2 weeks later...

you screwed with the tank, its gonna take awhile for them to be comfortable in the tank. im sure they will settle back in. maybe clean the glass more or less often so she's used to the rotation?

Archived