Innovative Marine Aquariums

Your IDeas on a 20 Gallon Long Set-Up

catweh00

I plan on setting up a 20 gallon long tank (30x12x12) and I was wondering if you guys could help me with the setup. I want to be able to keep clams, SPS, LPS and maybe softies, but prolly not. How much lighting would I need? What about filtration and a skimmer? Carbon? Sump or refugium? Money will not be an issue, but I would rather not go metal halide, if that is possible. Thanks in advance. Below is what I had been thinking of:

20 gallon long

130Watt 10,000K PC & 24 Watt Actinic

Emperor 400-for carbon trays

Prizm HO skimmer

22lbs. Live Rock

40lbs live sand

All the corals I can get my hands on along with a KALk drip daily dosing system.

What do you guys think?

Thanks again.

If money is not an issue I have a few preferences in what I would want in a tank:

1)- Why not go with Metal Halide? The spectrum is superior to PC and you will be able to keep whatever livestock you want.

2)-Depending on your space considerations, I would go with a Calcium reactor. Dripping Kalkwasser is a pain I think.

3)-Again, depending on the space I would go with a fuge, or at least a sump. Its great for adding water volume which is good, but even more important for me, I find it makes water changes much easier. I didn't have one in my old tank and I hated how I had take off my light hood and disturb my whole tank every time I did a water change. Now the only change is the level in my sump and my livestock barely know the difference.

Other than that, I love the idea of a 20L. I like the look of a shallow tank. Also if you wanted to save money somewhere, I wouldn't get the Emperor; I'd put that money toward somewhere else. If you have the dough than go with it as carbon can only help.

Good luck!

Archived