Pod Your Reef

Emerald Swinging On Powerhead

SuperflyFanatic

SuperflyFanatic

My male emerald crab was on the end of a rotating powerhead (like one of those rotating fans that goes back and forth), and he was latched on the end where the water blows out, just riding it back and forth, having a good old time. Very good stuff!

Have a look at the movie of it too (about 2.5 megs, no sound)

Emerald Riding Powerhead Movie

SuperflyFanatic

coralreefengr:

The male emerald has a phallic-like plate down the center of his chest that opens for mating with the female.

The female emerald has an entire chest plate that opens for the same reason.

So the females belly will be a solid plate, the male will have the outer parts where his legs attach to his body, but a visible seperate center piece that can flap open.

coralreefengr

Thanks for the tutorial on telling my emeralds apart. Based on that I definitely have 1 female. The other may or may not be male, I haven't seen him or her open any flap.

Have you ever had a pregnant emerald? I lost an emerald about 2 months ago. When we pulled her out, she was full of eggs. Not sure if the added stress of the pregnancy in captivity was the end of her. I actually had her for more than 6 months, but I've never heard of emeralds reproducing in captivity before.

SuperflyFanatic

Actually yes, I posted the whole ordeal on another forum with loads of pictures. It was an awesome sight. However, captive success sucks, and my shrimp had a good time eating everything.

I don't know if you have to be registered to view my thread there, but check it out if you can.

http://www.thereeftank.com/forums/showthre...&threadid=15404 (check page 2 mainly, that's where the pictures are)

SuperflyFanatic

That's the first I've seen him there. I think the snails have played near there before, but they usually prefer the rock or glass.

The outlet on my maxi-jet 900 is covered in yummy green algae and my emerald can't seem to resist. Almost once a week I catch him hanging on to the outflow for dear life...if you really want a laugh, you pull the plug for a second, he lets go, you plug it back in..and whoosh...you've got yourself a flying emerald...otherwise I don't think they can get off of it lol.

Archived