Cultivated Reef

sealant for canopy

channah

Polyurethane will work fine. Be sure to do several coats with a light sanding between them. Depending on the lighting plan you will probably want to paint the inside of the hood white.

I also seal all the seams with aquarium sealant.

So you are a flyfisher person? :)

Poly will work alright, but it usually isnt made to handle the elements like the SPAR Urethane. SPAR is what is used to seal seagoing wooden ships, gives that nice clearcoat to the countertop at the local bar, and is intended for use on wooden doors that are exposed to outside. Minwax makes a 'Helmsman' SPAR Urethane that seels for just under $10 a quart in a green can at the home depot. I hear verithane is also a good product, but very expensive, and good luck finding it sometimes. SPAR, it's the best thing I have found overall.

Originally posted by channah

yeah, actually I'm a fly-casting coach

yeah, i'm a board member and newsletter editor for a FF club, plus their all around token woman. :) I also was office manager and graphics helpsperson for a start up FF magazine that bit the dust due to the editor being a moron.

Liz, you amaze me more and more every day! I used to drive to Bob Marriott's once every couple of months when I lived in SD. Now, I have Randel Kauffman's shop. I miss So Cal, can't wait to move back!!!

For the record, this thread was Hijack before me!

Archived