Innovative Marine Aquariums

New eclipse system three w/pics

pulse13

This is my first nanoreef. Its been setup for 4 weeks now, but I just got around to posting it. I'm going to try to keep it as simple as possible, at least for now. I originally planned to set the tank up in Jan., but luckily didn't have the money then. I say luckily because in Jan. my power got knocked out for 10 days due to an icestorm. Here are the pics/specs:

Current specs:

3g eclipse tank

25w heater

built in HOB for circulation, biowheel and filter removed

aragonite substrate, 1-1.5 in.

1lb aquacultured LR

2lbs Figi LR

1 astrea snail

1 blue leg hermit

Future addons/inhabitants:

small powerhead

coralife 10000K/03 actinic 13w bulb

titatium grounding probe

nightlight

UPS battery backup for heater

1lb Tonga LR

1 bumble bee snail

2 more hermits

a few types of mushrooms and zooanthids

possibly a yellow clown goby in the distant future

I plan to make a DIY nightlight using RGB and UV leds (from www.ledtronics.com), with a DIY controller. The RGB leds will be able to produce any color of the rainbow and be fully dimable. The UV will add to fluorescence.

I measured the temperature fluctuation using an accurate Fisher Scientific thermometer that I borrowed from the lab I work in. Temp varies from 80.1 - 80.6 over a period of 24h. The fluctuation is due to the heater thermostat and not the light, because the heater still turns on even with the light on.

Evaporation is minimal, at about 1-2 oz. per day. Salinity increases from 1.023 to 1.024 after about 3-4 days because of this. I use RO/DI water for daily top offs and mixing salt. After 4 weeks I only have salt creep on one small part of the HOB. Weekly water change of 1/2g.

Right now the only source of circulation is the HOB. I plan to keep it even after I get a powerhead, because it helps to keep surface film down and I add my topoff water to it so that it mixes a little before going into the tank. I can however remove to make room for another bookworm light.

Here is how I attached the bookworm light. I removed the built in 6w NO from the hood. The bookworm simply rests on the black support frame for the tank and is held in place with a single wire tie. No water splashes on the bulb, and there is no salt creep on it.

This is a hitchhiker crab that came with my aquacultured LR. It belongs to genus Mithrax (same as the emerald crab), but I'm not sure of the species. Its body is about 5-6mm wide.

Here are two yellow hitchhiker clams growing together. The top one is open. There is a third white one under the two but it is small and not visible in the pic. The one piece of aquacultured rock that I have came with about 8 hitchhiker clams of various colors. There is also an amphipod in the bottom of the photo. I have tons of these, as well as copepods that swarm on the glass.

Even my snail came with hitchhikers. Here you can see a clam that live on his shell. On the other side, he has some green bubble algae attached to him.

This is a hitchhiker predatory snail of some sort (maybe a conch?) that I removed when I saw him trying to consume one of the clams (seen in this pic).

After I removed the snail, I soaked it in freshwater for several days and then pulled out the soft snail body. I then placed it back in the tank. I caught my hermit trying it on after just two hours. Its a little big for him now though, and he changed back to his original. Other hitchhikers I've seen include tons of bristle worms, at least 50 fan worms of several colors (including bright red), comb jellies, tunicates, two small green limpets, sponges and others yet to be identified. I've also counted at least 10 distinct colors of coraline.

Good start hehe. You seem to be having a load of fun with just your snail, hermit and liverock. A born reefer. :) Keep us updated as you add things.

John

Nice. From the looks of it, you could probably tie another Bookworm to the existing one for a little extra light. I like the hitchhikers but that first crab kind of gives me the creeps. Good luck, it's nice to see the Pico Tanks popularity growing.

Thanks for the replies! I just ordered the parts I need to do the LED moonlight. I'll post the results in the DIY section when I'm done.

I got mine at Lowe's for $20. It was in a section with a bunch of other similar utility lights, and under the brandname Ritelite. My didn't actually say bookworm on the package though, but some are sold under that name. If you search the forums for "bookworm", one of them mentioned an online retailer that carries them (can't remember the site).

• 2 months later...

Hi Pulse13. Fellow Eclipse 3G'er here. Give us an update on your tank. I'd like to see some new pics. Are you still using the HOT or have you switched to a powerhead?

Man, I can't believe how much live stuff you had one your rock. Mine was pretty much dead save for the nitrifying bacteria on it.

Archived